Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 317 not properly charging

Mobilewrench ยท 2024-11-16 16:48

Serial t00317a102798 The customer replaced the battery a couple of days ago. My first chance to get to it was this morning. Battery was sitting at 12.3 volts, so I fired it up and got the boom up and out of the way to check the alternator. I was reading 12.4 volts at the alternator, at the battery and in the cab so I think it is charging, just not enough. Turned on the work lights to give it an electrical load and that drew the display in the cab down to 12.1 volts, same at the alternator. Turned the lights off and it went back to 12.4 volts. When I when I turned off the park brake and engaged the hydraulics the display went down to 11.9 volts and tripped the dashboard battery light. Both the brake and lockout solenoids worked properly and the voltage did not drop (or climb) in the ten minutes that I let it run like that. When I reset the brake and disengaged the lockout solenoids the voltage went back to 12.4 volts. Normally I wouldn't bother the forum for what I am pretty sure is just an alternator on its last legs, but I had some trouble codes. I just am not very familiar with this particular display system so I don't know if they are active codes or stored codes. F9H9 F9P9 F9P8 F9H9 is I think a short to ground in the hydraulic lock out solenoids. The other two are short to ground and open on the brake circuit. I can't be sure because I take care of too many machines to remember (and I am pretty bad at keeping notes) but I think in the last handful of years that I have had to replace the brake solenoid and a lockout solenoid on this machine. So I am thinking stored codes. Mainly I guess I am just asking for opinions before I am able to order parts. Also, I am wondering about the wiring to the alternator itself. I can see the positive post and the ground, but then there are 2 single wire plugs that I can only guess about. If I have to guess, I would think that one would be to feed the voltage display in the cab and the other is either a field wire or a tachometer output. Anybody maybe have a wire diagram for this unit?

Replies1
  1. #1mg23612024-11-17 12:33

    Check your messages.