I have a 2011 deere 320d skid steer - the blow by is horrible that comes out of the vent tube it puts out more smoke than the exhaust. You for sure couldn't follow me for the fog it creates I checked the turbo charger and the rocker arm cover that acts as an intake and everything looked good there. I am thinking a hole in the top of a piston. Going to have to pull the engine does anyone have the procedures for pulling the engine? I tried purchasing a service manual on ebay been waiting for two weeks for the manual and it still has not shipped. Thanks in advance for the help.
Run a compression test ? Pulling the motor is pretty straight forward.
Welcome to HEF Farmboy22 ! Before I would condemn an engine and commit to pulling it, check the washers under the injectors. They like to fail on those engines and push combustion into the rocker area and give you quite a bit of blowby. Seen it quite a few times. You would think the engine would misfire because of it but it does not.
Thank you for the welcome - listening to it today there is a metallic ping/knock not like a rod bearing a lot more hi pitched. One other thing - the engine is very hard starting when it is below 40 degrees, it did not used to be that way just in the last three months.
Could be injector knock as above mentioned. You need to pull them to do a compression check any way.. They are easy enough to get out a inspect. Hard starts could also be compression loss through the crush washer , bad injector-s or just bad compression.
Myself I'd try a compression test first. Would hate to see someone pull an engine for something that could have been fixed with the engine in place.
The compression on that engine is done with an adapter (Deere # JDG1687) through the glow plug holes. There is no adapter made for the injector holes for compression.
Thank you all - I will go see if I can find/purchase the adapter
here is an interesting one - taking off the hoses for the turbo and intercooler all coated with engine oil.
Out of curiosity what engine is in there ?
4024
Thanks. I have some in an industrial application and am curious what you will find.
To clarify, that is a 4024"E" electronically controlled engine, not the mechanically injected engine. Is there smoke out the stack when running? Turbo failures on those engines are common as well. Maybe run your engine with the turbo oil return line running into a bucket to see if your blowby lessons.
Tonight I disconnected the return line off the turbo started the engine filled up a 12 oz bottle in about 10 seconds. That seems like a lot of oil - what do you all think? Ordered the compression tester adapter today.
Don't know. Did it seem like boost pressure was pushing the oil or was the oil just draining out? Did you look at the blowby tube while it ran to see if the blowby decreased? You might have to cap the turbo drain fitting on the block to prevent the gas escaping from that fitting giving you a false indication at the blowby tube. Most of the time excessive blowby on those engines are from injector seals, rocker cover gasket or piston rings, seldom the turbo. Let's see what your compression test says.
It seemed like the turbo was pushing the oil out. Would the injector seals go into the crank case or value cover if they go bad??
Crankcase.
OK this just gets better and better - Compression test - cylinder 1 - 210 PSI cylinder 2 - 220 PSI cylinder 3 - 355 PSI cylinder 4 - 355 PSI - I thought might as well pull the injectors out of 1 and 2 but I cannot get them out without taking the rocker arm off which means I have to bleed them before I can put them back on - thinking I just as well pull the head and be done with it. Of course I purchased the technical manual but the only thing in there is how to pull the engine have to purchase the engine manual separately for 200 bucks.
Being that 1 and 2 are very similar in compression and significantly lower than the other 2, I wonder if the head gasket is blown between those 2 cylinders?
i went ahead and took the head off. the head gasket looks good, I can still see the writing on the pistons they all four looked good. the interesting thing when I removed the injection nozzle it was foaming. These nozzles are sealed with a copper ring and an o-ring. wondering if the injection nozzles for 1 and 2 are bad
finally found it - got number two piston completely down groves in the cylinder wall - got the piston all the way up and could see where the piston was messed up. Now hopefully i can find a machine shop that can bore the block. Thanks everyone for your help.
Pulled the engine tonight - the number two cylinder is a mess. I think it broke the top ring then the blow-by burned a hole in the top of the piston. The cylinder wall at the top is grooved really bad i am not sure a .30 bore is enough to get back to use able shape - will take it to the machine shop and see what they say. Thanks again everyone for your help - most appreciated