Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 35c

theironoracle ยท 2013-01-12 00:08

Does anyone have access to a john deere 35c 2003? I have a low horsepower problem with mine (especially when cold) and while diagnosing said problem i noticed at the outlet of the dust collector (rubber thing on bottom of air cleaner) there was actually a puff of pressure coming out of it about every second (at idle). This seems a little out of the ordinary but this being a three cylinder and naturally aspirated i thought there could be some sort of crazy valve overlap allowing this to happen. Anyways if you have access tell me if yours does this also........................theironoracle

Replies9
  1. #1mikebramel2013-01-17 12:12

    Sounds like you need a valve job. Intake isnt seating. You can atleast try to adjust them/check the clearance. Easy enough

  2. #2johntims2013-01-17 12:37

    yeah sounds like valve issue. do you start it with either ever? I had a D6 do the same thing to me, the exhaust valves were stuck closed on two cylinders from to many either starts.

  3. #3theironoracle2013-02-04 23:48

    changed injector pumps and injectors slow throttle response and horsepower problem fixed 100%. still have that back pressure through the air cleaner i think it may be the way the motor works still would like someone to start there 35c and see if it acts the same...................theironoracle

  4. #4ANDREW C2013-02-05 19:27

    Im heading in to the shop tomorrow I will fire one up and see if it does it as well but I think you may have a problem because I work on these quite a bit and I never have seen that as a normal issue.

  5. #5theironoracle2013-02-05 22:16

    AndrewC, so i notice it most at low idle, it will puff out of the dust collector, perhaps the engine fan blows through the radiator hard enough to pressurize the air filter housing and occasionally the engine doesn't have enough intake vacuum to overcome that pressure causing a puff affect? i just put my hand under it and can feel that puff every revolution maybe? I have already removed the head leveled it upside down and it held wd-40 overnight on all valves, replaced partially failed gasket (some pressure inside radiator) and adjusted the valves on the way out no change!.........thanks for the help..............theironoracle

  6. #6ANDREW C2013-02-05 22:49

    As soon as you said low idle it made me remember something I read in the past. Read this and see if you understand it as I do. http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/074396.pdf page 186. I will still fire one up tomorrow though.

  7. #7cutting edge2013-02-06 02:40

    STOP EVERYTHING!!!! Those little 3 cylinders do that.....one of the quirks of a triple. Nothing to worry about.

  8. #8theironoracle2013-02-08 22:12

    cutting edge, thanks so much i was hoping someone would tell that, thanks so much for confirming.........................theironoracle

  9. #9ANDREW C2013-02-11 09:18

    Its been a busy week chasing machines all over the province but I got into the shop and fired one up yesterday, I don't feel much for air coming out but I think what you've experienced is the purge of the valve on the bottom of the air filter. At 2/3 throttle it should suck close. By now you've pretty well went through the whole system but I'm glad you found issues with the rest of the engine as well.