Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 4045 Engine Exhaust Slip Fit Leaking

Birken Vogt ยท 2021-11-04 00:05

Got this 4045HF270 in the shop with an adapter off the turbo outlet that fits inside the female part of this upturned elbow. It leaks a lot of exhaust out the joint. I think there might be some kind of a piston ring type deal in here. I am wondering what parts go bad on these and how to likely repair. I can't take it apart just yet because we still need it running for other problems but would like to know what to expect in here. What parts go bad in a setup like this. The v-band clamps seem to be holding fine. This fitting is more like what you would see on a long exhaust manifold, but a lot bigger.

Replies11
  1. #1heymccall2021-11-04 00:19

    Double check model number. I dont see HF270 in my sources.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2021-11-04 00:50

    Right you are 4045TF270

  3. #3Tones2021-11-04 00:51

    HF275.

  4. #4mg23612021-11-04 05:36

    No seal ring. It is a "rolled" end to the tube that fits into the elbow. A flange with no gasket at the turbo. Probably a rotted out tube. Serial number? Edit: I just saw your other post. PE4045T623558 When looking up parts by serial number the option code for that exhaust is 6401.

  5. #5nowing752021-11-04 11:54

    just had that problem on our trencher same motor. I ended up replacing the short pipe and the elbow

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2021-11-04 12:23

    Had decent luck with cleaning parts and if not too rotten using some of the copper coat gasket paste to seal leaky exhaust sections.

  7. #7heymccall2021-11-04 12:32

    Cat recommens the 2P2333 high temperature sealer on exhaust connections that are essentially slip fit, like the 3116 3 piece exhaust manifold.

  8. #8JLarson2021-11-04 22:21

    Even on new ones sometimes the casting job is so **** poor you have to goop em anyway lol

  9. #9treemuncher2021-11-05 14:22

    I use JD's Power Assist app on my phone & tablet. Enter the engine serial number and the factory build options are at your finger tips with all of the part numbers you need. Makes life easier, for sure.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2021-12-03 11:47

    I got the parts in and the new item #2 is a looser fit in the item #3 than the original leaker was. I have JD starting a "case" now but we will see if they even care. What kind of goop do you recommend? I once used some white ceramic paste that came in a toothpaste tube and hardened into ceramic.

  11. #11JLarson2021-12-03 23:02

    Permatex has 80335, a 2000 degree goop, loctite has MR2000 too. Loctite is what cat sells as their sealer usually.