I have a leaking loader dump cylinder on a 2005 Deere 410G. I'm having difficulties disassembling the cylinder. I have the repair manual. For some reason the actual disassembly of the rod from the barrel is not included. The rod guide is not your typical threaded into the barrel. The problem that I'm running into is the rod guide is retained by an outer and inner wire retaining snap ring. The external was easy to remove. But how do you release the inner snap ring between the rod guide and barrel? Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Jgs, If your parts look like this photo from the Deere parts catalogue, I think (# 8 Backup ring ) is not a steel ring but a fibre seal ring. You should be able to push the gland into the barrel to remove #5 ring, clean the mouth of the barrel well and install the hard plastic tool ring in the groove where the steel ring was and pull the rod and piston out. If you don't have the tool ring or if its damaged, you can fill the groove with body filler and dig it back out once the piston is out. Clean away the body filler immediately after while it is still not fully cured. I have no experience with the 410G but the parts look identical to my 310D cylinders.
Deere started putting hydraulic cylinders in their own service manual. If you got the out side ring off have you pushed the gland in yet, do you have the seal kit yet? After you push the gland in, usually need a soft punch and hammer, knock it in until you see the groove. Around your year they stopped putting the ring where you could remove it, if there is a wire ring in it remove it and put the orange ring from seal kit in the groove. If you only see a empty groove put the orange ring in (it will only go one way and don't cut it cause you think it is to long) and pull rod out. The ring stays in the gland, before you start back together pull the orange ring out.
Thanks for the info! Yes I did have the seal kit. Once I installed the ring, I couldn't believe how easy it slid out. Not sure if I'm a fan to this method for retaining. I like the traditional threaded method better. Thanks again!