Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 590D

animalv · 2021-01-15 19:23

I just picked up a Deere 590D excavator with 9500 hours on it. Going to go through and service it all up. My first excavator going to use it up on my property. Anyone have any experience with this machine anything to look out for. TIA

Replies19
  1. #1skadill2021-01-15 20:46

    Worst thing is it trying to live in the Lower Mainland,where these are basically illegal now thanks to metro vancouver off road diesel regulation nonsense.It's affected a lot of machine owners,myself included

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-01-15 20:56

    Please expand on this regulation.

  3. #3excavator2021-01-15 21:05

    The 590D Deere/ EX150 Hitachi was one of the best excavators built. The Deere engine was not quite as good as the Isuzu that Hitachi used but still a good engine. Nothing jumps right out as far as any bad things I've seen.

  4. #4skyking12021-01-15 23:14

    If you don't have good service records, I suggest going through the 2000 hour service and establishing a good baseline. Don't skimp on oil changes and do drain the tank sump into a glass jar and inspect. What you find there will tell you how they did with fuel cleanliness. That looks like a nice machine, those guards are good to have.

  5. #5animalv2021-01-16 08:25

    I agree we have gone the carb route just like comyfornia this ol girl is going to the bridge river valley so I’m ok there for now

  6. #6animalv2021-01-16 08:30

    I have no service records so I’m changing all oils and doing Oil samples on every compartment. All the joints are tight in the boom stick and dipper. Engine starts quick no smoke.

  7. #7skyking12021-01-16 10:08

    Personally, I would not pay for samples on the gear oil boxes. Just drain and examine the oils in the finals, swing, and pump drive. Those things tell you personally when they have a problem. Dissect and look over the hydraulic filter. My best guess is you will have no problems, those are quality built machines.

  8. #8lantraxco2021-01-17 05:15

    These were excellent machines, if you give her love she'll most likely return it if she can.

  9. #9Steve Favia2021-01-17 09:12

    I spent quite a bit of hours on both of those,great backhoes we did a lot of rentals through United Rentals.I’d favor the Hitachi a little, really smooth both good though.

  10. #10animalv2021-01-18 21:50

    at 25 bucks a sample you do make sence. gear boxes do tell what's going on by a visual on the oil. got the filters coming in soon.

  11. #11animalv2021-01-18 21:55

    metro vancouver has a law that all equipment with tier 0 & 1 engines have to get a permit every year. we are going the same way as comyfornia

  12. #12Old Growth2021-01-19 00:17

    I have a 590D. Great machine. Very simple. Starts up instantly even in the cold. Disable the ether start if its not gone already. Ours has about 8000 hours. Filters/oils are pretty much the only thing I have done to ours other than a spruce up on the idler mounts/rails. The idlers were kinda sloppy and would sit a little crooked and also let the idler yoke/tensioner cylinder get crooked/misaligned. We cut the old material out and relined with new fresh material and now they fit tight and true. Ours gets used at our mill. Loading, unloading, stacking, sorting and juggling logs all day. Not much digging here, but lots of lifting. Ours just has a simple rail around the house and a cab guard. I like your guard package. Those plates around the side compartments/tanks are very nice! You should be very happy.

  13. #13Welder Dave2021-01-19 00:22

    Does it depend if it's for use on your own property or for commercial use?

  14. #14animalv2021-01-19 09:08

    Yes I am happy with it got to use it for an hour putting some junk in a roll off bin at work yesterday.

  15. #15animalv2021-01-19 09:09

    Welder Dave that’s a good question I believe it’s all across the board but will have to look into that

  16. #16alaskaforby42021-01-19 10:17

    I had a 490d was a good machine. The booms like to crack on these ol girls. I see there is already a "Half moon" fix on the boom. Just keep an eye out in that area and around lift cylinders. Great machine and easy to work on. I have manuals for a 490 if it would help at all.

  17. #17animalv2021-01-20 00:23

    alaskaforby4 i have the operators manual but looking for the repair and test manuals

  18. #18JDCrow2021-01-20 06:34

    Great machine. We ran one for several years. Bought it new. Sold it off during Great Recession. Still have its sibling 490d at 20000 hours. More than a few times was pulled over because it was over width and I didn’t have flags or a sign. Glad they never sent me to scale because I’m sure I may have been over weight. It’s nice and solid machine, you’ll love it

  19. #19alaskaforby42021-01-20 09:50

    Yes, It looks like it is a 590D and 490D technical repair manual, what's your email, ill send it over