Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 690b to cat 435b questions

5.9rookie ยท 2014-12-26 22:04

Three months ago I bought a 690b, to dig sand for my three dump trucks. I had never run an excavator before then. But it didn't take me long to figure the 690b, was just to slow. So I bought a 99 435b cat with 72 inch bucket. My question is, does it hurt to run about 3/4 throttle till I get used to the different controls? I was just halfway learning to pull the sticks on the 690b. This 435b seems super quick compared to it. To get used to it I've been running about 3/4 throttle. Thanks in advance Tony

Replies3
  1. #1Shimmy12014-12-26 22:28

    Do you mean a 345B? Whatever you have though, I wouldn't see any problem running it even at half throttle. Maybe at low idle, but anything over 12-1300 should be no problem. BTW, maybe your Cat has a pattern changer? Just something to look at. A machine around mid to late '90's I believe the pattern changer would be up next to the fuel tank. Just a guess though.

  2. #25.9rookie2014-12-27 00:29

    Yes it's a 345b. I beleive mine has a pattern changer, but I was gonna try and learn cat controls. Seems that's the universal control standard. I'm just digging sand and selec fill, I was worried about burning up hydraulic pumps by not running wide open. Thanks shimmy

  3. #3Shimmy12014-12-27 08:03

    No problem. Don't sell yourself short though. There are just as many out there running backhoe as there are running ISO. With pattern changers being pretty much standard equipment, now guys can run what they want, not what they have to. That's a pretty wild leap from a 690 to a 345 by the way.