Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 750J electrical question. Mestizo?

alwaysbusted ยท 2018-12-26 19:41

A rogue limb during brush clearing forced itself into the cooling fan where it wedged the electrical cable bundle into the fan severing a 7 inch section of the cable. We traced as best we could and soldered splices together. However my cooling fan still does not function correctly and throws a continuous code of a short. The fan does run at constant default speed, but no reverse, and no variable speed. I suspected a damaged fan solenoid so I replaced both, no help. I believe we have a mismatched wire to the fan. How can I safely ring out the wire from the TCU? Or maybe from the solenoid back to the splices? All wires in the cable bundle were black except one which is orange for the horn. Yes, my horn works great. Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612018-12-27 06:12

    If you supply a serial number (last 6 digits) I'll get you a schematic of the fan circuit.

  2. #2clearprop2018-12-27 07:38

    Just basically stating the obvious but you might check for damage farther up the harness. the fan could have yanked the wire and stretched it enough to tear the insulation off and let it rub something.

  3. #3Vetech632018-12-27 08:02

    DAM! I was just getting ready to say "you need a wire schematic." MG to the rescue!

  4. #4alwaysbusted2018-12-27 10:02

    The serial number is 213501. What is the safest instrument to use to trace the wiring without risking damage to the TCU? Of course I will only test after turning off battery power. Is there a master connection with wire identifiers for the cable at the TCU that I can disconnect during testing? Thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it.

  5. #5mg23612018-12-27 12:15

    Let me know if this looks like what you have. The safest way to check the wiring is with an ohmmeter. You can disconnect the wiring from the solenoid and from the TCU and just use an ohmmeter to see if you have continuity from one end to the other. You can also check the wire from the solenoid to all the other wires in the TCU connector to see if you have a short to another wire or check for a short to ground from solenoid power wire to the frame. The wiring does have a number on it that corresponds to the schematics (The two fan solenoids - H02 green, H03 green for the power side and G11 black for the ground side)