Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 80 wiring diagram

LSchulz ยท 2011-05-10 21:23

Does anyone here have one in PDF form? Or possibly know where I can get one without going to the dealer? The 80 has some electrical gremlins right now that my Dad and I can't figure out. When you start the machine, the charging indicator light comes on. When we put a jumper between the two wires on the black plug coming out the top of the alternator, the light goes off and the system begins charging, but then the engine will not turn off with the key. So, we have a temporary switch wired between those two wires on the alternator - when we're done running it, we have to turn the key switch off, then climb out and hit the switch to shut it down. We tried swapping out the key switch, swapped out all the engine/charging system control relays, but the problem hasn't changed. Thoughts?

Replies6
  1. #1excavator2011-05-10 23:57

    Back by the battery relay there should be a couple (2 or 3?) inline diodes. They're a plug in diode, yellow in color and have two wires coming to them. Check these out, I had a Hitachi with the same symptoms and I found one of these was bad.

  2. #2LSchulz2011-05-11 00:03

    Will do - thanks for the tip. The local electrical gurus who we take motors/alternators/etc. to mentioned that there could likely be diodes someplace in the system causing it to do this, but I had no idea where to look. We checked the couple relays back on that panel above the batteries, and those were fine, so I'll test those diodes tomorrow.

  3. #3LSchulz2011-05-11 20:49

    The reply I typed up earlier seems to have disappeared... Anyway, I checked the diode back there, as well as the four I found on the wiring harness on the right side of the cab, and the one on the shutdown solenoid, and they're all good. We also did some more messing around with the wires coming off the alternator - plugging them in, unplugging others, jumping between them while plugged and unplugged, and have now succeeded in thoroughly confusing ourselves. We had the system thinking that the engine was running when it wasn't, had it running when it thought it was turned off, just about every combination except doing what it should. More ideas?

  4. #4tool_king2011-05-11 22:57

    LSchulz Do you have a complete model number on this machine .I have Hitachi manunals.These should be the same .

  5. #5Digity2011-05-15 10:32

    Did you put a voltmeter on the alternator to see if it was actually charging ?

  6. #6LSchulz2011-05-17 12:36

    ff0080x010037