Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere/Bell, Cat, JCB or Volvo?

Bellboy ยท 2008-06-08 05:55

I want to get a TLB, and though I am more partial to Bell, I would like to hear your views on which brand you prefer, operate, their troubles and problems and recomendations, as well as price, fuel consumption and other maintenance issues. Thanks a bunch for your comments, and we will see which one I will go with.

Replies20
  1. #1skata2008-06-08 22:07

    i vote jcb. do all the brands listed have good support there?

  2. #2fireman0502008-06-08 22:43

    my vote is for case

  3. #3Bellboy2008-06-09 13:30

    Skata, All 4 Brands have good backup, but JCB lags a little behind in brand awareness and dealer network, but their machines are very popular, especially TLBs. What is their fuel consumption like and what sort of glitches could I find, if any?:notworthy Fireman050, I have seen a Case 965 Super, I think, and it looks like a rather sturdy workhorse. What is your recommendation on it, ie what you like about it and so forth. ointhead

  4. #4cat3202008-06-09 14:32

    I vote case . what is a bell?

  5. #5fireman0502008-06-09 17:10

    lately i have been running three case hoes a 580l 580sl and 580sm they all are excellent machines plenty of power case is the best tlb i have ever run

  6. #6tuney4432008-06-09 21:42

    Nothing runs like a Deere---go there last and see for yourself.

  7. #7Kgmz2008-06-09 21:46

    A Bell backhoe is actually a Deere backhoe. From the Bell website: John Deere Construction & Forestry, with whom our strategic alliance of over a decade has grown to include back-to-back manufacturing and distribution licences. Core products of this alliance are ADTs designed by Bell and manufactured in the USA, distributed under the Deere brand and Deere designed, side-shift Tractor Backhoe Loaders manufactured in South Africa and branded as Bell machines in the Southern African region. Also included are Deere Front End Loaders, Dozers, Motor Graders and the renowned line of Deere forestry equipment, all of which is distributed in Southern Africa. Hitachi Construction Machinery, a manufacturer of premium excavators, with rock solid distribution in Asia Pacific region, brand the Bell ADT products under the Hitachi marque in that region. Kato Works, a company known for strong reliable excavator products, which are distributed under the Bell marque in Southern Africa. In addition, Liebherr, one of Europe's most respected brand names, distributes the Bell ADT products through their rental companies in Germany and Austria. Now to the original question, get the Bell/JD backhoe. A great backhoe and excellant support in your area. I have owned Case, Cat, Ford, and presently own a Deere. Sometimes we need to rent a extra backhoe and will get what is available, which can be a Deere, Cat, or Case. Most of these rentals have been very new and current models. And when it gets down to it, if I were to buy a new one it would be a Deere even though we own a lot of Cat equipment and owned several Case backhoes in the past. And I was a die hard Case fan until we got the Deere.

  8. #8Deere96702008-06-09 23:29

    Go with the brand that you like the most, everbody has there likes and dislikes for a machine, so what you need to do is go out and demo or rent a few brands to see which one you like the most , at the price you want to pay. And dont forget about dealer support, and the availbility and cost of replacement parts! Good luck and let us know how it goes! I personally have only been on 2 different backhoes - an old case 580 k and an older John Deere 210c. I like the loader on the Deere, and the hoe on the case. Just my .02 cents, but that prolly doesent help much because they are both older machines.

  9. #9Bellboy2008-06-16 13:24

    My BELL dealer is really close by, in Pietermaritzburg, whereas my contact at Cat is in JHB. My Volvo oke is in Durban, and lately, i haven't had a good relationship with my JCB contact. I am very impressed with the BELL:thumbsup, which is around R510 000 exc. VAT, Cat 422 (I think the equivalent of the 416E) is hovering at R550 000 exc. VAT, and the Volvo BL61 is around R535 000, but the BL71 is around 650 000. I haven't gotten a quote from JCB yet. What do you chaps think of Komatsu? I would like to investigate them, as I got a good thing going with them due to a recent project I did, and i probably will be giving them a visit in around two weeks time. Their dozers and excavators are really popular

  10. #10pwrstroke6john2008-06-17 00:49

    In america I would go with the JCB for the 4wheel steer, because Im used to it, but Deere backhoes are really popular and seem real good.

  11. #11JJK2008-06-17 09:10

    I vote for either a CAT or CASE; both are very good machines. btw how does that convert into USD?

  12. #12Bellboy2008-06-21 14:03

    I think that the Rand to Dollar is around R8.00 to the USD. I haven't tried the cat yet, but from their specs sheets they look a bit naffy. I don't think you agree, but:my2c. To Deere9670, I saw an ad for a Cukurova 883, a Turkish brand that, and according to their brochure, they used to make cheap parts for JD equipment for the rest of the world. I went and demoed it, but the dealer is far away and as it is a relatively new machine on the market, i am afraid of the backup and parts availability . It was a strong machine:thumbsup, and relatively tough, with beacon, radio and air suspension seat standard. The hydraulics were a bit shakey, but handled well once I got into it. Very big cab, relatively cheap @ R443 000 excl. VAT. Any advice is good advice.

  13. #13gxer982008-06-21 15:51

    I have operated alot of cse backhoes and even the old worn out machines get the job done. They just keep on going. I just recently bought a 1997 JCB 215E III. Its a really big machine compared to a case 580. Lots of hp. I have only put about 10 hrs on it so far in 2 days so I can't really say anything good or bad as of yet.

  14. #14biggixxerjim2008-06-22 09:22

    deere all the way. nothing comes close to the g's and j's.

  15. #15Bellboy2008-06-24 08:52

    I must agree with biggivverjim. I like the Deere, but so far the cheapest thing looks like a PowerPlus or a Cukurova.

  16. #16OneWelder2008-06-24 22:01

    I would price out some parts such as cyl. packing kits. and at least one major component. You maybe surprised at the differance in price and availability I would also go with the one that is easiest to operate

  17. #17Bellboy2008-07-11 04:21

    So far, i like the Bell, but i've only test driven a Cukurova. The bell is so far the cheapest machine, and for what you get too. A rotating safety beacon is standard, whereas with Cat, you got to pay a little extra to get it, also 4x4. I think I said this on another thread, but while both cabs are nice and luxurious, the Bell is cosy and practical.

  18. #18Dogger2008-07-11 07:38

    I say CAT. Are the majority of backhoes in South Africa centre mount or side shift? Europian side shift.

  19. #19CAT D9H2008-07-12 15:05

    I would go with Cat or Case I like Cat because of dealer support hyd.speed and power , Case because Hyd.speed not as powerful as Cat hydraulics but alittle faster , bad thing about Cat is I still havent seen a bucket level indicator just the return to dig deal they have , I dont think too much of deere backhoes, slow hydraulics, small cab, too much nois in the cab while roading or while just sitting , do what you want but Cat or Case wont let you down

  20. #20Bellboy2008-07-13 02:09

    Interesting. Contractors here wont touch Case. Cat is popular, but I'm not that fond of them, but I do agree that they are great machines. Dogger: Side shift. What with being colonised by the brits, we ended up with their influences. What about Aussie?