I'm about to place an order for a new Skid Steer. Due to dealership and service personell location I have three choices Cat, Deere or Bobcat. I'm haveing some issues with Cat over an axel for Cat D5N dozer(see my problem in Dozer Forum) so have decided to exclude them from my options(my little protest). This leaves me with Deere 328D and Bobcat S770. Basically they can offer the same specs except Deere can't offer ride control and Bobcat can't offer air ride seat here in Australia. Bobcat has a few more horsepower but also has a $12K price increase as well(haven't got the salesmen bleeding yet though). Bobcat also has a little bit of icreased performance in some areas and less in bucket breakout - hard to explain that. We are working in coal mine exploration site doing prep and cleanup up for drill drilling operations. We make roads and tracks, sometimes in very wet conditions(I intend to fit mclaren 'over the tyre' tracks in the wet season, using 'surge or ballast' rock in the extremely wet areas. Because of the rock i have not gone for a tracked machine as the undercarrage and track maintenance charges would be too high. had on contractor destroy an ASV track system in under 100hrs here on the rock. We also have to track long distances somedays - up to 10klm between jobs on very rough roads. Not sure if 'ride control' or air seat is the most important. Any thoughts? I also have Hitachi Zaxis 35U -3 excavator(great unit), JCB 3CX backhoe(good so far), JD5320 tractor and slasher(rotary cutter)(JD farm tractor excellent), Kawasaki 610 mule(tough as nails), Mitsubishi FK6 tipper(140000klm and no trouble) and Cat D5N(when I get an axel) also on site. Regards Firetrack
have you looked at JCB skid steers? they came out with a brand new line of machines that are built in the USA to compeat with Cat and Bobcat.
Yes, and I like the idea of the single arm and side door. I have a JCB backhoe and had a requirement for a JCB service guy(not machine stopping problems) to come and sort out a few little items. Had to wait 3.5weeks for him to get to us. I'm not sure that I want to take the chance on a totally new JCB model and have the only one in the area. Both Bobcat and JD have dedicated service personnel in our area. Not sure what model JCB would be equal to JD328/Bobcat 770. thanks for the input Firetrack
I bought a new model JCB once then entered in a 2 yr ordeal with them trying to get them to buy it back, got a new machine designed and delivered instead and whata ya know it was crap too. They finally bought it back at a prorated price after lawyers got involved... Left a bad taste in my mouth... I haven't owned a JD but have operated one for another contractor for about a year. It was a good machine but its no bobcat they are rated for more bucket break out but I will tell ya that my s300 rarely fails to breakout any thing. It'll lift the ass end with the tilt cylinders, how much more do you need? The clearance on the bobcats is accommodating for over tire tracks systems, works really well if you order it with wheel spacers, helps keep from raking stuff between the cab and track. As for the air seat, I have a spring seat that is ok in rough terrain, Id bet your dealer could order and install that air seat, after all nobody likes long trips in a skid steer.
Just placed the order on a JD328D with 14" tires plus a set of 12"(so that I can put Mclaren track over them in wet times), tilting pickup hitch, 1880mm 4in1 bucket, 2286mm power anble blade(already have tilt on the hitch), 1600kg pallet forks and spreader bar. A/C cab with EH performance controls, UHF, AM/FM radio, air seat, reversing fan. Unit is also to be spec'd up to Australian Mine standards - fire extinguishers, warning light bar, SWL and other warning stickers, 2 x E stops. Looked at Bobcat which also was a nice machine(visibility about the same on both-bC maybe a little better looking at rear wheels). BC has nice Deluxe instrument panel but very noisey in the cab. We tested both units with DBa meter at full revs. Deere was 96 outside and 84 inside. Bobcat was 93 outside and 98 inside. BC has a higher reading in the cab than out. If we were tested on the mine site with the BC we would be made to wear ear protection in the A/C cab - end of story!. There is something fundamentally wrong when the manufacturer puts up a 'new' machine(M770) that is louder in the cab than outside. We used the mine site OHS noise meter. Price didn't come into this deal - Just operator comfort. Prior to testing both units I was tending to lean more towards the Bobcat.
Thanks Firetrack, the bit of info about the noise issue is really interesting.
Response How did the JD perform for you? Would you buy again?
Very happy with the Deere and would buy again. Ballsy unit that is not heavy on fuel. Nice creature comforts for the operators. We've had two electrical issues a) relay b) a/c thermostat. I find that there is a little delay in the forward and reverse but my operators don't think it is an issue - maybe it is just me.
Doesn't the S770 have wheels that steer? Several photos I have seen do anyhow. Would be a nice setup, skidding to steer tears up the ground!
The BC machines have all wheel steer start with A such as A-770.