Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere or Volvo

cummins05 ยท 2010-07-08 17:12

As I stated in the other thread I am now a full time grader operator doing back country oil gas and logging road maint. I will have a choice between a deere and volvo grader both are 2008s both have 12ft blades im told . Witch of these blades would you guys pic sight unseen as I have to pic before I get up to work the Deere is a 772D I think he just said a 2008 772 The Volvo is a 2008 model that is the same size as the 772 he says.

Replies6
  1. #1Grader4me2010-07-08 20:51

    Hopefully you will get a chance to try both of them out then decide. We just purchased a couple of new Volvo graders and they are very nice. I'm wondering if the Deere has all wheel drive? Thats something you should check into, as if one of them does then thats the one I would choose. If everything was equal..I would probably toss a coin..but again try both of them out before deciding if you have that option...both are good machines..

  2. #2plowking7402010-07-08 22:08

    i havent had the chance to run a new volvo yet, but i have a 772 deere. if its a 772 , then it has all wheel drive, and i can say im impressed with the deere awd. the two biggest issues to me about the deere, the small cab, ( cant even lay a 4 ft level in the back window) it also has a boat load of grease nipples. ( iknow theses are minor issues but its something to think about.) if is a 2008 model, im pertty sure it is a D.

  3. #3Grader4me2010-07-09 06:56

    When we went up to go over the new Volvo graders, the rep told us that there are fewer grease fittings and to only grease every 50 hours. That in itself is going to be very bad news for our operators..not...lol. Now this might not apply to the 08 model.. It has a low profile cab as well..not sure I like it as I did bang my old head when getting out of it.. Talking to a few operators that have the Volvos and they love them...

  4. #4cummins052010-07-09 08:04

    I won't be able to see the machines or run them before I get to work they are spilt between two separate sites. They need to know witch one I want so they can book my saftey orientaion with one of the oil companies I chose the Deere cause it should be all wheel drive and they just had it in for a complete service and I learned it had carbide edges put on the volvo has had none of that.

  5. #5ovrszd2010-07-11 11:49

    I run a 770D. Great visibility and power. The AWD might be handy depending on your work. My township is talking trade for a G model Deere. I'm reluctant. I like the D model better. Hope you enjoy your new ride!!!

  6. #6cummins052010-07-12 21:11

    Three more days of first aid and BP saftey bull then I get my new ride. I think the all wheel drive will be very helpfull trying to keep these wet greasy roads open to service rigs and log trucks Its my first full time blade seat so I cant wait I have wanted to run a grader for about 7 years now.