Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere Pins & Bushings

hosspuller ยท 2016-09-26 12:48

Just having too much fun... I'm replacing the pins & bushings on the boom. The play made it hard for me to use it smoothly. Here's my question... Is it feasible to just replace the pins and leave the bushings? Bushing replacement is so much more involved. I measured the wear on a pin. Found it to be about 18 thousandths. Multiplied out to the bucket that was a bunch of play. Don't have an inside mic so can't measure the bushing wear. If the wear is concentrated on the pin, maybe pins alone is worth the money and time saved. I'm already committed to replacing the bushings now (parts in hand) But the pivot on the swing tower is sloppy too. Here's pic of my set up. If you see potential safety issue, pls speak up. When I put it back together I'll have do some shifting to line everything up. The tractor is NOT supporting any weight, It's there "just in case" Wear is concentrated on about 200 degrees of the pin. Max .018 deep Measured with straight edge & gauge

Replies2
  1. #1KLP2016-09-26 13:47

    Try the new pin in the old bushing.If it is tight,it is good.

  2. #2Willie B2016-09-26 20:26

    I don't get it. I replaced the swing bushings on a John Deere 410. Laid down the hoe, blocked everything up, Dropped the pins, and moved the tractor 9". The old bushings were a 10 minute job with an acetylene torch. Three kerfs to heat, and cut close to the frame. Let it cool, beat it out. New bushing goes easy with dry ice. Willie Come to think of it, cleaning up the build up of old grease was worse than the bushings.