Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DEMAG H285S undergoing repairs

Miningpower ยท 2009-12-31 14:59

This was probably one of the best days I spent with a buddy of mine at work. The H285S was having its radiator repaired, so I spent the day watching the repairs. The shovel is a 1991 and weighs in at 370 tons. From a distance these giants can look small. It is only when you get right up close by one that you can appreciate the size of them. Here are some pictures and videos. This video I did over the course of the day shows the steps in repairing the shovel's radiator, which was really fun to do. YouTube - DEMAG H285S Radiator Repair After the radiator was repaired, it was onto repairing the travel system. The problem was one track was spinning slower than the other which caused the shovel not to walk straight. This video shows when they rotated and timed each track rotation per minuet. YouTube - DEMAG H285S Crawler Service And here's the second H285S hard at work loading Cat 785B's. YouTube - DEMAG H285S Loading Cat 785B's

Replies10
  1. #1special tool2009-12-31 16:17

    You've got some pretty good videos on youtube.

  2. #2Chris55002010-01-10 05:08

    How many hours on your 285's? And whats the serial # of your 4000? The one I use to maintain was 08153, #3 PC4000-6 off the line. I have a bit of constructive criticism too, when lifting either track frame off the ground or slewing it on the tracks I highly recommend you to open the jaw and lift using the backboard or you'll end up distorting the geometry of the jaw, bound pins and possibly snapping a rod (or two) on the clam cylinders.

  3. #3Miningpower2010-01-10 21:22

    Oh I don't know how many hours are on those...thousands. Their excellent machines. They've been lifting the tracks this way since they first got these machines over a decade ago and I doubt it will change much..lol

  4. #4w2bstoned2010-01-10 23:25

    sweet pics... thanks for sharing

  5. #5rino14942010-01-11 06:37

    Cool vids. What mine is this ??

  6. #6Miningpower2010-01-11 08:07

    Thanks! Sorry, I don't disclose the mine location or name.

  7. #7poclainshovel2010-01-11 17:25

    I think this is one of Reading Anthracites mines. Maybe Wadesville PA?

  8. #8RANDY ROME2010-02-17 22:07

    those are tracks mennnnnnnnnn

  9. #9Miningpower2010-02-17 22:22

    They sure are! DEMAG tracks on the 185S and up were all one solid link...built strong these old girls.

  10. #10K5Cruz2010-02-27 01:14

    Cool videos. Looks like a lot of fun running a machine like that.