Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel Question

BRL ยท 2006-03-13 16:28

I have a client with 2 half full blue plastic 55 gallon drums about half full of diesel. These have been in his shed for "several" years and we are taking the shed down. My question is does the fuel go stale like gas does? If it is no good for trucks or equipment, is it still at least good for someone to use in their waste oil heaters? He was going to put them into his garage until he could figure out how to get rid of them, but I told him to leave them outside. I poked my head in the shed yesterday & the deisel smelled just like it was supposed to without getting involved with opening the drums & looking at it etc. so I'm hopeful that my sub who is helping with the job will be able to take it off the clients hands for his machines. Win win. Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1rino14942006-03-13 17:32

    Yes, the diesel will be fine to run.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2006-03-13 17:36

    I've used old fuel before with no problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that will be the case here. Diesel can grow algae that will clog filters, there are additives to combat this. I'd run it through a paint strainer before using it, then blend it with fresh fuel, I think you'll be OK. Or, you could burn it in any oil burner, diesel is the same as #2 fuel oil.

  3. #3salesrep2006-03-13 18:21

    I would not run it .

  4. #4digger242j2006-03-13 19:41

    I second what Steve said about the algea. It might be fine, but rather than chance running it through an engine, I'd find somebody with an oil furnace and let them burn it for heat.

  5. #5Wulf2006-03-13 21:59

    I would find use it as heating fuel but certainly wouldn't run it through a modern diesel engine.

  6. #6dayexco2006-03-13 22:21

    my fuel supplier says it'd make good waste oil heater fuel

  7. #7NWH2006-03-13 22:43

    nwh Do not run this fuel! Once you get algae in your fuel system it is pure HELL to get rid of

  8. #8BRL2006-03-15 20:21

    Thanks everyone! :thumbsup Talked to my sub today & his contractor\equipment borrowing\equipment lending\ job sharing\etc buddy has a waste oil heater at his shop & we will deliver it there tomorrow afternoon when we're done for a nice little surprise.

  9. #9Dwan Hall2006-03-16 04:55

    I have a waste oil furnice in the shop and charge $1.00 per/gal to dispose of used oil. You won't get near as much heat out of the #2 as motor oil but it will work just fine. Most waste oil burners will burn anything between ATF and 50 weight.

  10. #10BRL2006-03-16 20:23

    There they are. Found out those blue containers are pretty err durable They managed to drop one out of the sling from 4 feet in the air. Only spilled about a pint somehow, and the container was fine. So that solves that mystery I've always wondered about, who needs Mythbusters. The fun part of the job, used the ole thumb to turn an old 8 x 10 steel shed into a ball to put on my little trailer in about 3 minutes. :thumbsup