I've read that some 580sk came with diff lock and others didnt. Also some just had the pedal removed. Where should I be looking for my pedal location and then the actuating arm? What would it take to hook it up if none of the parts are there. Ive had to use the hoe many times to pull the tractor out and it's always been the rr getting buried. I plan to get some new back rubber in the future, but missing havin diff lock like I did on my little kubota. So im sure diff lock will help even with the old tires. If I still have issues when I have new back diggers and diff lock then I'll probably look into rear chains.
I believe that the internals are there but the rod and pedal are deleted, you could check it out by getting the tires off the ground and having someone turn the tires while you move the engagement lever on the trans axle near the RH axle housing bolt pattern. It would look like a rod sticking out of the housing and bent at a right angle, Up I believe. The reason it was deleted was on 4wd applications where front and rear drives are being used the shift collar and internal mating teeth will be destroyed if trying to make a turn, if the front wheels cannot slide somethings gotta give. I have seen it , it aint pretty. Install the linkage at your own risk
Dixon700, I have also considered activating the diff lock on my SK, but never went forward due to the concern Melben expressed. If you do decide to do it, please post how it goes. Below is a picture and link from the Case Parts website that may be helpful. Start with part #20 = diff lock pedal, and then work backwards from there. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr100583ar1051009bi594056-20
You also shouldn't be activating a diff lock on dry pavement or I guess hard packed. This is more for slick surfaces like mud that I been stuck in the woods in quite a few times over the summer. Thanks for the diagram. It looks pretty basic. I could essentially just use a piece of all thread or small pipe with some sort of turnbuckle for adjustment and build a basic little pedal out of scrap. Btw does anyone know where that pedal would fall at on the floor? I've never had my floor mat up. Thanks for the input though guys.
The diff lock pedal is pretty much centered between the RH brake pedal and the throttle pedal. When you lift your floor mat you should see the small, non-slotted, cover plate #37 on the diagram. This is where the factory diff lock pedal would go. The Case diff lock installation would substitute cover plate #17 for plate #37. Plate #17 has a slot in it for the pedal. If you decide to proceed, I would be interested in hearing how it goes.
I'll keep everyone updated, but it will probably be spring because my backhoe doesn't even fit in my barn... it only has a 10'x10' door...
The cab isn't ten feet tall, is it? I moved a 680E, 780C, and 446B in and out of a 12' door for years. You just have to stretch the hoe out. You'll probably be pretty nervous the first time, but you'll be surprised at how far you can stretch that hoe out before the front comes up.
I think the cab is 9' or so, but the hoe in locked position is 11'6" which makes it difficult because there's a small hI'll up to the barn and there would just be enough room to fit in with the hoe In locked position since my dodge is in there. If I stretch it out to where its taking up most of the barn it'll probably fit, but my barn wasn't built for something that big. If the hoe wasn't there. It wouldn't be an issue. also my hoe has a 4 in 1 bucket 4wd and front counter weight so I could probably stick the whole hoe out straight without the e-hoe out and be ok.
If you can, keep the hoe bucket just a few inches off the ground when you're moving with it stretched out, then the front won't come up much, and won't be able to spin around and take out your garage walls.
Is the ceiling high enough to pack it back up after you get under the door header?
No the ceiling is 10' like the door is some places. Being a dirt floor it's a bit less then 10' in places.
Ah yes. Sounds like you're SOL. Just like you thought.
Ya, it'll be something to look at when it's a bit warmer.
I bought new rear tires, but I'm still having some issues in the muck working around the trees. Took me 20 min or so to get out the other day. Ground was too soft was just pulling up bucket fulls trying to pull my way out.. so I need to seriously look into installing the diff lock.
No floor mat on my 580k series 3 being the open cab but you can see the position of the diff lock pedal, mine is only 2 wheel drive though, cheers.
Thanks at least now I know where to be putting the pedal in.