Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Difference/updates between Cat 926 and 926E

928G Boy ยท 2008-02-17 20:52

My dad owns a 926 we use for snow removal, and at work we have a couple 926Es I've operated over the years... I honestly can't tell the difference between a 926 and 926E other than the 926Es at work are equipped with blinkers/4 way flashers... other than that it's the exact same machine... Same engine, same boom and linkage, same cab, same everything! But there is apparently a weight difference according to the City of Winnipeg who (in their infinite wisdom) classifies the 926 as a J2 Class loader on snow removal and the 926E is a J3 class loader BECAUSE OF WEIGHT... It really makes me upset because we're totally gettin' screwed by the system... Our loader goes out there and works just as good as the J3 class machines, most of the time we do MORE WORK but get paid LESS MONEY. :Banghead on top of that, the J2 machines don't get called out to work as much! All because of a little weight which doesn't even affect our performance on snow removal. We asked them if we could be J3 class if we got a bigger bucket or bigger counterweight... they said NO DICE. Anyone got serial number plates off of a burnt/salvaged 926E? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Replies9
  1. #1mikef872008-02-17 21:54

    You guys get paid by the weight of your machine for snow? We get paid by the size.

  2. #2928G Boy2008-02-17 22:01

    the classifications are by weight and horsepower... we definitely have the horsepower, we just dont have the weight apparently... but we're close. we're in the same bracket as a freakin' cat IT12.

  3. #3mikef872008-02-18 10:01

    That's a weird way to pay someone. My 966G has a quick coupler on the front, I made a double bucket for it, just for snow. I can't load snow with it, but we plow with it like a pusher and bucket snow around the parking lot. I've been doing the same parking for 25 years, i got the idea about 20 years ago for it. I used all buckets back then. Now everything has a pusher or a power angle plow, except for the 966.

  4. #4PETE3792008-02-18 11:11

    Out here on Long Island, the town I live in pays Trucks and loaders by weight, not size. If you have an F350 with a 9' blade you will get about 8-10.00 an hour less than a F550 with same size plow. It was a little more of a scam in the old days, You could have some old P O C Dm800 with a 2 yard sander in it getting 40.00 more an hour than an F350 with the same. Its a little more regulated now, but that was real common ten years ago.

  5. #5Tigerotor77W2008-02-18 16:42

    Different engine and the Cat Performance Handbook says that the E has nearly twice the breakout force of the 926. It also has a ton (2,000 pounds) more weight and a 0.5 yard larger bucket (2.25 vs. 1.75)

  6. #6928G Boy2008-02-18 20:57

    Thanks for clearing that up, I really appreciate it. We were told we had the exact same engine, a 3304... I just looked it up now and apparently the 926E has the 3204?

  7. #7Tigerotor77W2008-02-19 00:35

    Yup -- the 926E has the 3204.

  8. #8Boots2008-02-24 13:42

    3204 Hi, how is the reliability of the 3204. I have heard that the 3204 was just a 3208 cut in half and the 3208 wasn't a good engine, but you hear lots of things. Thanks for your help, Boots

  9. #9Countryboy2008-02-24 21:37

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Boots! :drinkup