I'm new to this forum and pretty new to backhoes so hey guys and here we go. I managed to buy this used backhoe two years ago for use on my hunting tract and have noticed that the differential lock pedal appears stuck. It is in the non engaged position. Since it's two wheel drive and no spring chicken ( although it works great) I was wondering how to get it unstuck without ending up with no wheel drive. What I'm saying is that I don't have a shop and enough experience to tear into the differential and fix it like some of you guys if I was to break something in the process. Also I'm assuming that you depress the pedal and not pull up. Is that right? Also if you think I better just leave it alone then tell me but it's real wet here right now and a little more traction would be nice. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Hopefully the linkage just rusted up tight. You can look up the parts diagram on jdparts.com to see what's going on, it's pretty simple. The linkage is all you're concerned with at the moment. I'd take a light hammer and tap away at the pedal, or whatever you can reach of the linkage underneath, use some penetrating oil if it looks greasy, or soapy water if it's rusty but not greasy. As soon as you notice something move, tap it back up, and keep rinsing it with the water or oil. If the horizontal shaft moves but you don't get "lock up" then it gets more complicated. What happens is somebody gets one wheel spinning and then steps on the pedal, the lock can't take all that force at once. It's designed to be pushed down while the wheels are not slipping and will lock as soon as one pulls a little ahead of the other, and before it builds up speed.
That helps a good bit. Going down to farm tomorrow and try what you mentioned. I had thought about the hammer actually too but all of what you said sounds like a good start.Thanks for the reply.