Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Digital Cameras

Countryboy ยท 2007-03-12 03:53

Well its about time for me to purchase one of them fancy digital cameras that I know nothing about. There's all kinds of cool stuff here in Georgia that I have no way of posting so I'm gonna buy me a camera to take some pictures. And no, I'm not buying a scanner because the money for a scanner can be easily spent on a camera and will save several steps of the picture uploading process. Things I want on the camera: Decent zoom funtion Easy to operate Compatible with most computers Medium size Fairly durable Quality pictures Around $200, will spend more if I like it Things I don't want: Alot of knob and buttons Fancy features that never get used Something that will self destruct if you press the wrong button I just need something simple, to take some shots with. This will benefit yall so please advise accordingly. Dealer Support is always a plus too. Thanks in advance fellers. :thumbsup

Replies126
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-03-12 07:41

    You want "Optical" zoom with it, digital zoom is not so crash hot but its on most cameras anyway. There is about a guzillion cameras out there. I have had a really bad run with Canon consumer digital cameras after owning top if the range Canon 35mm SLR's most of my life. The Canon warranty aint worth the paper its printed on. I'm currently using a Fuji and it seems good. Olypmus is pretty good but hard to get around the menu system on the new ones. Konica Minolta is worth looking at. The best place to learn more about the cameras out there is the camera review magazines and websites. Try ZDnet: http://review.zdnet.com/Digital_cameras/4566-6501_16-0.html?tag=ont-cam or just put the make and model number followed by the word "review" into google....like this "Canon Powershot A80 Review" Almost any digital camera will come with a little software program to help download your pics to the PC...Windows XP also has a camera wizard which (once loaded with the camera driver) can be a lot easy than all the screwy programs the camera manu'f give you. Don't get caught up in the Megapixel race...for the average Joe pics here on HEF anything over 3 Mp is a waste of time and you have to reduce the size of the image to post it anyway. My Fuji is 5.1 Mp and thats heaps for printing out A4 sized family photos. Again there is heaps more advice and stuff both online and in the camera mags. These things can play up on you once in awhile and I think buying from a big dealer that has a good returns policy is the way to go. $200 US should be more than enough....for the first one I go cheaper, say $100 and keep it as the "work" camera. Mine bounces around in the truck most days and doesn't get the best of care. If the bug bites and you learn a bit more you can get a better camera. Get a good soft pouch with it and the bigger the memory card the better to a point. 1 Gb is heaps, I run a 512 Mb abd a 256 Mb for back up. They generally only give you 1 crappy 32 Mb card with the camera which is useless. A word of warning on those memory cards...just watch sony and some others...they tend to use the most obscure and expensive cards on some models.

  2. #2PSDF3502007-03-12 10:43

    I have a olympus stylus 800. Takes nice easy pics 2" led sceen weather proof.

  3. #3CM19952007-03-12 14:56

    I have a sony cyber-shot smart zoom DSC-P8 and I have not destroyed it yet which says someting about the camera. I think it is 3 or 4 years old and takes great pictures. Squizzy's right get a bigger memory stick than the standard one. I do like the idea of a 2" LED screen weather proof model. I might need to stop by Best Buy and see what they have. Later:drinkup

  4. #4CascadeScaper2007-03-12 15:49

    I'm with Squizzy, Canon consumer stuff isn't so good and the warranty sucks. Nikon has some really nice point and shoots, but they are a little more expensive. I recommend Fuji, they seem to be great cameras for the price.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-03-12 19:53

    Ok, So i've got Fuji, Olympus and Sony as good contenders and stay away from Canon. Get optical zoom and upgrade the memory stick. This is good info, exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it coming. :thumbsup The weather proof Olympus is sounding real nice. Would you mind offering up a close figure of what you paid for it PSDF350? I don't mind looking at reviews as they have good info on the basics but they could be biased as you don't know who wrote them. You guys have them and know what you like, don't like, what works and doesn't work. Those are the reviews I'm looking for.

  6. #6tylermckee2007-03-12 20:22

    I've always been a fan of Nikon. I was looking into the Nikon coolpix s1 and the Fuji FinePix V10, both of them are on the smaller side and from what i have read they seem decent. Dont forget to spend some more money on an extra battery and a bigger memory card or two http://www.steves-digicams.com seems to be a pretty good place for reviews

  7. #7Orchard Ex2007-03-12 20:23

    I've been a big Nikon fan from way back. I have a CoolPix digital now and have been very happy with it. Uses CF cards (cheap for the amount of memory) and is very easy to use. Goes from point and click to lots of creative control easily with nice intuitive menus. Controls are "where they should be", not sure how else to describe that.

  8. #8Countryboy2007-03-12 20:46

    If Nikon cameras are anything like their rifle scopes then I'll have to take a look at them. I just hope they aren't anything like the prices cause they ain't cheap. I'm an expert deer hunter so I don't mind spending the money on something high quality like that but I don't plan on being an expert picture taker. I know what you mean Orchard. Some controls just feel right the first time you pick it up while others you never can remember where "that button" is. It would be nice to have one of those so we shall take a look at that model also. Would this CoolPix be under or over the $200 mark?

  9. #9tylermckee2007-03-12 21:07

    Coolpix is just a name, there are lots of different model numbers under the coolpix name, some under and some over.

  10. #10Countryboy2007-03-12 21:20

    Is the Fuji FinePix the same way too? Have you bought either one of those you spoke of above or are you looking too?

  11. #11tylermckee2007-03-12 21:36

    Yes fuji finepix is the same way. I had a nikon coolpix 880 a while back, when it was a new camera and i loved it. It had nice point and shoot options and when i wanted to it had a great manual mode. I have owned a cannon and a kodak since and i didnt really like either at all. Here are a couple pics i took with it years ago. The camera is ancient now by todays standards.

  12. #12Countryboy2007-03-12 21:50

    Now thats the quality resolution I was talking about. I will definately have to check those out. The list is getting longer but thats a good thing, it means more choices. :yup

  13. #13Lashlander2007-03-12 22:07

    I've went into Best Buy three times with the intent on buying a digital camera. Everytime I get to looking at them and blow a fuse. Way to many choices. I've been using the wifes Olympus Camedia. I like it cuz it fits in my shirt pocket. I think it cost around $225.00. The flash card was another $75.00.

  14. #14Countryboy2007-03-12 22:13

    And I think thats why I haven't gotten one yet. I've never actually gone looking but the few times I have glanced over at that section it just seemed overwhelming. I want to be able to go in there, say I want that one and leave. Those guys at Best Buy are full of great info but they already know what you "need" before you walk in the door. So another "check" for Olympus. Does yours happen to be the weather proof one Lash?

  15. #15dayexco2007-03-12 22:20

    i have a canon sd400 with a gig chip. absolutely wonderful camera, smaller than a pack of smokes. mine is a 5.1 megapixel...i think the one that replaced the model i have is close to 7 now. look at em, if you're going to use it for sitework, the small and lightweight part is very nice. most of the pics on my photobucket site were taken with that camera

  16. #16PSDF3502007-03-12 23:59

    I think I paid around 200+ Used to carry it with me all the time in side pocket carhatt pants. Wound up not being able to close without perswaysion. Then wouldn't open. Sent it in for warrenty work got back new camera with updates. Take great pics. I upgraded memory card when bought it. If I am taking pics for here I can take over 2000 before need for differant mem card. Or like 200 at highest resolution. Battery last forever. Made a mistake and bought 2 extra batteries not cheap and never need them.

  17. #17Countryboy2007-03-13 00:12

    Great review. I really like the all weather part. And the price is good too. Its gonna be at the top of the list. It'll be Saturday before I can get to Best Buy so hopefully I'll have it narrowed down by then. I'm gonna hafta leave the Ol' Lady at the house cause she'll want one. Thanks alot guys, keep um coming. :drinkup

  18. #18Cat4202007-03-13 00:22

    After you get to Best Buy to get a feel for the different models, check out www.newegg.com . I've had nothing, but good experiences with them. On most things they beat the pants off Best Buy for price, you just don't get to hold the stuff in your hands buying online., but as long as it's the same model as Best Buy it would be fine.

  19. #19Lashlander2007-03-13 03:11

    No, the wifes camera is not weather proof. I'm interested in that. I'll have to check it out. Her camera also has a pretty good appetite for AA batteries. We have an Olympus camera at work that has a good zoom on it and takes nice pics but is kinda big. These pics were taken with it in the same spot. Everytime I think I have it sorted out I find a new one to ogle over.:beatsme

  20. #20Countryboy2007-03-13 03:20

    Well here's the weather proof one I'm looking at on BestBuy.com . $249 doesn't sound to bad for that. Whatcha think Lash? I checked out that site Cat420. It only listed 13 cameras and about 8 of them were out of my budget. Did I miss something? :beatsme

  21. #21Lashlander2007-03-13 03:39

    I like that one. I'm not to sure what all weather means though. I'm sure its not water proof. Another thing is the pixels. My wifes is 5, the one at work is 3. They both take nice pics. I use then for screen savers and are clear enough. It takes a lot of storage and capacity to have a 7 megapixel. Maybe you can turn it down until you want a really nice pic. All in all I would consider it though. I think its a lot of camera for the price. Have a good night!

  22. #22PSDF3502007-03-13 10:46

    Same body as mine. But mine is oppisite zoom. For best pic quility use as little digital zoom as possible. Because when you size them you will loose pic quility. But if you use optical zoom you wont loose as much.

  23. #23PSDF3502007-03-13 10:49

    What it means is that it is pouring out and camera is in shirt pocket with lens closed the weather wont affect camera. Dont need to worry about condensation when jumping out of truck in middle of snowstorm to take pic of loader/plow setup.

  24. #24Cat4202007-03-13 11:50

    I didn't really look at their camera section. They must specialize in computer stuff:beatsme . I recently bought a hard drive from Best Buy (gift cards) for $145, newegg had the same exact one for $95 with shipping. They have similar deals on memory cards, flash drives, and other stuff. Sorry they didn't have what you wanted.

  25. #25Countryboy2007-03-13 18:41

    More optical zoom, less digital, gotcha.... My bad fellers, this was the one I was looking at. Its sold out on the website but is still available in stores. Best Buy.com . It was still a help as I was able to compare a couple prices. :thumbsup

  26. #26Lashlander2007-03-13 22:47

    Thanks for the answer PSDF350. There just seems to be to much information for me to hang onto. That feature would be handy. It has been known to rain a little here. :cool2 Countryboy, I like that one too. However, if its in my shirt pocket and its 10 feet deep. I don't think thats going to be my biggest worry at the time.

  27. #27Countryboy2007-03-13 22:54

    Good point, why would you be wearing a shirt if you were swimming? I think that is the one I'm going to get. I need one of them heay duty ones as my dad always said, I could tear up a bowling ball with a toothpick. I never knew what it meant till I had to buy my own things.

  28. #28Jeff D.2007-03-13 23:03

    I was given my Fuji Finepix camera and the cord to hook to the computer to download as a present, so I'm not sure if they normally come with this cord or not. Should Countryboy be asking about this too when he get's his camera? A new camera won't be too impressive if the pic's can't be transferred. Maybe they all come with that though.:beatsme

  29. #29Countryboy2007-03-13 23:14

    Thats a good question. :beatsme And if they don't then what cables do I need? Since I myself don't have a computer, I wonder if the boss man will let me upload pics from his computer. :naughty If not then I might have to go camera shopping and happen to find a good deal on a computer. I've always had an eye for them Dells.......:yup

  30. #30Jeff D.2007-03-13 23:21

    Mine just plugs into the camera and an open USB port on the computer. The first time I plugged it in it knew what to do, and the proper program popped up. I never had to download anything.:beatsme( had it not I'd still be trying to figure it out. )

  31. #31Cat4202007-03-13 23:22

    I would think they should at least come with a USB transfer cable. Some will have fancy docks for tranfers and charging the battery, but they should all give you something. Dells are good if you don't need the fanciest stuff. Just watch for their sales. They run different specials pretty regularly, sometimes 20% off, if you're patient you could save a big chunk of the camera price on the computer purchase.

  32. #32Lashlander2007-03-13 23:26

    Every new camera I have seen has come with the cord to hook to a computer. Its a simple procedure. I don't think you will go wrong with that camera Countryboy. I just may have to buy one myself and give my wifes back to her.

  33. #33Countryboy2007-03-13 23:38

    I got some USB cables. I thought ya meant some special ones. I just hope it comes with directions...... What do you mean by if you don't need the fancy stuff? I get a 30% discount through Dell from a Corporate Discount. I just call them and they send me a card to use at a store of my choice. Thats on top of any sales I can find at the time. Maybe I can talk them nice folks at Best Buy into a camera / computer deal. Is it like buying a car where you got to choose a bunch of options if you already know the model you want?

  34. #34Cat4202007-03-13 23:57

    Sorry, when I think computer, my brain automatically thinks laptop. Most Dell laptops are pretty simple. Normal screen, cheap case, and just have a bargain feel. For web surfing, typing, pictures, and day to day tasks they will get the job done. They have some better ones, but they are expensive. I have a Sager ( www.sagernotebook.com ) check them out if you'd like to see the fancy stuff. I haven't looked at their desktops much, because I love laptops so much that I won't buy one. Most entry level desktops have similar parts, so I don't see why Dell would be different. Since you can get a good discount, a Dell desktop would be a no brainer if you never do video editing or other processes that require a high end computer. We could fill a whole other post just on computer stuff. If you find any specific models, feel free to ask any questions. I spent 4 years of college with computer nerd roommates, so I learned a bunch of what is needed and what is a waste.

  35. #35Countryboy2007-03-14 00:15

    Now on the computer, I want all the bells and whistles as I know how to use them. I'm no expert but I can find my way around them pretty good. As Squizzy said though, I'm gonna start with something basic with the camera and maybe upgrade if I find I need something better. This has been some great advice guys. It shall definately be taken into account in my purchase. :notworthy

  36. #36Squizzy246B2007-03-14 05:17

    That camera has continuous shooting mode...this could be quite good..... as the machine goes over just keep shooting 7.1 Mp is megaheaps for most. The cables are not standard USB...USB2 at the computer end and mini at the other for the camera....its actually firewire but that don't matter much.....as stated above, I haven't seen any of the newer digi cameras that didn't have the cable included. Just a note on Kodak...I haven't looked at them for awhile but they used to be very non-generic....ie...they needed special cables, dock ports, software etc. I don't know wether that is still the case but it was a real pain on the older ones. The cable that came with SWMBO's Fuji fits my old Canon just fine. CB...see your learning already...keep hunting them down online and looking up the info....its the way to go no matter where you buy from.

  37. #37Countryboy2007-03-14 18:15

    Thanks Squizzy. Maybe after all this learning about buying them I can learn how to use them. I was also thinking the continuous shoot mode would be a neat feature. And as far as Kodak goes I know nothing about them other than what you just said. I'll stick with what I've got on the list. :thumbsup

  38. #38Countryboy2007-03-16 21:23

    :update Well seems the local Best Buy is out of the one I listed above. The guy said "we just sold the last one yesterday" :cussing. That always seems to be the way it happens. I am the first on the list though for the next one that comes in which should be March 26th. :thumbsup

  39. #39Lashlander2007-03-16 22:16

    Thats to bad, by then all the good pictures will already have been taken! :Banghead

  40. #40Jeff D.2007-03-16 22:50

    Countryboy, I just got back online now, after my barely 1 year old Dell crapped it's hard drive out yesterday.:bash :Banghead I'm not impressed AT ALL Of course I didn't back up any of my pictures downloaded from the camera or anything else, so "bye-bye too all you pictures!!":waving Bought a cheap-o "E-machine" with Vista instead of spending the $250 to repair the Dell. So, anyway I'm not impressed with Dell's. Or, maybe Squizzy put a hex on my computer for dis'n them Australian women in that other thread.:bouncegri

  41. #41Countryboy2007-03-16 23:19

    :laugh Man you're a trip...... I really hate to hear you had an expierence like that as I'm a big Dell fan. Granted, I will be getting some things for free that most people don't get cause they cost money. My opinion is based on the fact that my company buys nothing but Dell, hence the discount. Your advise is not thrown to the wind though, but duely noted. One of the major reasons for my choice is the free 3 year 24hr hotline for any problem that may arise. That means if you call, you speak to a real person AND get the problem fixed. You can also log in to a website of theirs and actually have them link to your computer via the internet. This allows them to be able to fix the problem instead of me, while I'm watching. For me it comes down to dealer support, which I will be getting plenty of. If not for the discount, I would probably be looking elsewhere. :thumbsup And you definately gotta watch Squizzy with them Aussie Bush Hex's. :bouncegri

  42. #42Cat4202007-03-16 23:30

    I wouldn't be too put off. The hard drive could go in any computer, since they are all 3rd party stuff. Unless something else went bad, a new $60-80 HD would fix it in about 10 minutes to install and an hour and a half to reinstall Windows.

  43. #43Jeff D.2007-03-16 23:44

    Countryboy, I'm going to check into this more. Maybe Dell will fix it for free.:beatsme I didn't even talk with them. I figured it was out of warrenty, so.................maybe the hard drives still covered though. If they will repair it free, it'll be my back-up computer then. Cat420, I'm not computer sauvy at all. It may be repairable easily enough by someone "in the know", but I wouldn't know where to start. I do know how to turn it on! I was just told it was the hard drive, and it would be approx $250 to repair. I thought for another $150, going new would be smarter. I'll let you guys know what they say.

  44. #44Cat4202007-03-16 23:56

    Hard drives are easy. After you take the side cover off, you'll see one of these . Four screws and two wires are all that hold it in. After it's out, look at the label to see if you need ATA or SATA. The new one can be any size you can afford and gets put back in the same place. Then just turn the computer on and put in the Dell/Windows disks that came with your computer and it will walk you through the reinstall process. A search on Google will turn up many pages with pictures and everything to guide you too. You can have a back up for $50, rather than the $250 you were quoted. If you decide to mess with it, feel free to PM for any help. I can take pictures of our computer to give you a better idea of what to do.

  45. #45Countryboy2007-03-17 00:06

    I would definately check into it Jeff. Theres aways a chance they will say "yes" even if the warranty is out. I'm not the most saavy person on computers but I do know my way around them. Having said that, I would spend the extra for a new computer if the old one had enough of those annoying issues. Cat420 brought up a good point about the cost of hard drives as you can get a high end generic hard drive for just a little over $100. The extra cost comes in when you don't know how to replace it so you have to pay someone to do it. Some of them guys take advantage of your lack of knowledge. Its like sending a woman (just a point, not a putdown) to an auto mechanic just to find out the guy put on 3 parts she didn't need. As with equipment, dealer support with computers can make or break the expierence you get from them. On a side note if the hard drive crashes, you can always keep the monitor, printer, etc and just replace the CPU. This would cancel out alot of compatability issues as well as alot of the headaches with reinstalling programs. Correct me if I'm wrong Jeff but I think you probably took this route, or did you just buy all new stuff? On Edit: I would take Cat420's offer Jeff as somebody to help walk you through the process will be highly beneficial.

  46. #46Jeff D.2007-03-17 00:24

    You're right, I just bought the tower w/keyboard and mouse included. Kept using the old monitor, printer, etc. I'm gonna, he'll be sorry he offered by the time I'm done!! I just tried Dell now, their customer support has already gone home. I didn't try their technical support cuz I don't know if it's warrenty issue yet. Cat420, I'll PM you with the particulars. And thanks for the offer too!!:thumbsup

  47. #47CascadeScaper2007-03-17 01:16

    Buy a computer at Best Buy and get the extended warranty for it. The last 2 laptops I've owned were both purchased at Best Buy. First Toshiba I had I loved, but the parts that were in it were produced on a Monday or Friday. Blew a HD after 3 months and a disk drive after 3 weeks. Both replaced under factory warranty without hassle. After those incidents, the computer worked trouble free for 8 months until my roommate decided my laptop was thirsty and dumped an entire Coke all over the keyboard. I bought an HP Pavillion, fairly well spec'd for about $1500 with a 3 year exteneded warranty from Best Buy to replace my Toshiba. It's a year old with zero problems, HP computers have come a long way. I wouldn't buy their desktops because I think there are better machines, but HP's laptops are pretty darn good these days. Stick with Pentium processors, I've never been a fan of AMD. Regardless of what anyone says, Pentium processors, whether the cheaper ones or not, are all good.

  48. #48Cat4202007-03-17 12:55

    I always have to deal with really dumb computer questions at home. I'm happy to be answering different questions for a change . The extended warranties are a very good idea if you plan on keeping a computer for a while. A lot of people upgrade so often that the companies can save money by building lower quality stuff and just paying out warranty claims, since many people will upgrade before something goes wrong.

  49. #49Jeff D.2007-03-17 19:56

    I'll have too change my opinion of Dell now, and take back my "badmouthing" of them. My hard drive was not bad, as I was told. With both Microsoft and Dell's support I was able too get my computer fixed. I was given step by step instruction's that ultimately ended up allowing my computer to access the internet, and that allow it too be diagnosed and have the fixes downloaded into it.:notworthy It was free too. So, ultimately Countryboy was right, support should be a big factor in buying desicions.:yup Thanks also to Cat420 and Mr. Squizzy for their help.:thumbsup So...............back too the camera discussion's.

  50. #50Countryboy2007-03-18 23:00

    I'm glad to hear it Jeff. So whatcha gonna do now that ya got...... 2 computers :cool2. You ain't gonna get all nerdy on us are ya? Soooo......I stopped by Circuit City yesterday and got to hold one of them waterproof cameras. I was amazed at what I've been missing out on compared to them disposables . Circuit City had some i stock but I'm still gonna give my business to Best Buy as the guy at CC wasn't too helpful. I actually think I knew more about that thing than he did .

  51. #51Jeff D.2007-03-19 05:58

    I was going too try and hook them together like a "network" ( why? :beatsme ), but then talked to my sister yesterday and found out she needed a better computer so I'm giving it too her. Too late!:cool2

  52. #52Squizzy246B2007-03-19 07:26

    Glad to hear you have the thingy sorted Mr D....and goodonya for helping the sis out. F4...only Dell would make it the F4 button :bash You can still hang crap on Dell but that online...onphone support is a good thing. What you need now is a good ruggedized laptop for the truck with Wireless so you can HEF all day

  53. #53Jeff D.2007-03-19 07:43

    Did I say "F4", er.....I should've said "F8" while restarting, sorry!! incase someone else here has a Dell Nextel has an option that allows you too use your phone as a wireless modem. With a subscription to their service and the special cable for the computer to phone connection you can have the internet anywhere. I tried it though, and it was Sloooooooooooow!! Anything with pictures takes forever to upload. I don't need HEF that bad..................................yet!!

  54. #54Squizzy246B2007-03-19 08:04

    4....3.....2.....1.....SLAM {door}....Ok folks Jeff's just stepped out to the computer shop for a few minutes

  55. #55Jeff D.2007-03-19 09:21

    :bouncegri You're probobly right. This last time my computer went down, and I was wrongly told what it would be too fix, I thought :idea "Ya know, why do I even need a computer? I lived most my life without one just fine! Screw them computers!!:soapbox " I even figured I'd save nearly $80 month on average by not having a computer, considering what I've spend on actual computers themselves, internet access, virus and firewall subscriptions, blah-blah-blah. But it didn't take too long before I started to realize how much I used it too pay bills, do my banking, alot of shopping, entertainment(here), and I quickly found myself at Bestbuy buying another. I sometimes use to blow $80/night in the bar, back when I drank, so................this is where I justify it to myself.................this is much cheaper

  56. #56Countryboy2007-03-19 21:23

    Your one up on me cause I don't know what either of them buttons do. :beatsme Now your fibbing cause you got your little light off for the same reason I do....... to hide the addiction. :bouncegri

  57. #57tylermckee2007-03-19 22:12

    I'll be waiting for underwater pictures

  58. #58Jeff D.2007-03-19 22:17

    I'm not entirely sure what it does either, but by doing that while it's starting up, and with doing a few other things, it allows a person too go around the normal operating system..........er something.:beatsme No, that may be why your light's out, but I'm doing it to conserve electricity. If everybody in the US did the exact same thing we'de save enough electricity per year too power 10 ray-o-vac battery powered flashlights for atleast 3 1/2 minutes.:cool2 And isn't that what it's all about? Saving the world's resources for the next generation!

  59. #59Countryboy2007-03-19 22:31

    I was actually looking for a yellow bulb for mine. The green one seems to attract more bugs. :idea So whats the deal with the Nextel stuff. Does it really work anywhere or is it anywhere there is service? Is it on the same network as the cell phones or a different one? Sounds kinda interesting....:thumbsup

  60. #60Jeff D.2007-03-19 22:49

    This is what I've been told: Nextel has their own system, which isn't shared with the others, even with Sprint, it's parent company (as of yet). This I know for sure: Their phones only work in their system, and the coverage is similiar too that of other providers. It's just that sometimes they'll have signal where others don't, and visa-versa. Almost, if not all, of their phones have the walkie talkie capabilities. A select few of their phones have the ability to talk to other Nextel phones via walkie-talkie where there is no signal. It's direct from one phone too the other. It's range is very limited. I think they advertised something like 7miles, but my experience has been it's only good for 2-3miles. The reason I stick with them is the walkie talkie. Mine is an unlimited plan, it works good, it's coast to coast, and many of the people I know have it. Other than that, their just like any other cell phone company, IMO.

  61. #61Countryboy2007-03-19 22:56

    ops, my bad Jeff. I was talking about the Nextel wireless modem thingy. I've been with Nextel for 7 years or more but never heard of the internet ability. :beatsme That was an excellent review on the phones though. :thumbsup

  62. #62Jeff D.2007-03-19 23:17

    Oh that! I had it about 2 years ago. Previous to that I had the old AOL dial-up service, and their prices kept going up, so I told them too take a hike. My idea was I'd use the Nextel service at home(since it was unlimited) and maybe I'd get a laptop so I'd have internet anywhere I went. I had to get the phone cord with a USB type plug on one end, and a CD program from Nextel, to control the phone. It did work, but they advertised a speed that was faster than dial-up, and it acted as slow or slower than dial up, for me atleast. So I switched to using a dedicated DSL line and gave the "Nextel internet access" thing up, since it was about the same price. If a guy spent alot of time on the road it would be alright. It does work anywhere the phone does, and it doesn't come off your minutes, so that's nice, but that feature alone wasn't enough to keep me using it. I still have the cable and the program if decide you want to give it a try. I've no use for it anymore.

  63. #63Countryboy2007-03-19 23:35

    Hmmm....I think I'll check with Nextel on it tomorrow. Seems you have to have a computer though for it to work correctly so that my first priority. But if the service is decent then it would be nice to be able to use the internet on the go. I'm thinking since I'm on the Fire Department it would be helpful to be able to have unlimited information at my fingertips when I need it. Seems I might need to be looking at a laptop instead of a desktop. The slow uploading wouldn't really bother me since I've never actually used DSL. But if its slower than dial up then that could be a problem. I'll check into it and see if it will work for me. Thanks for the offer on the cables and program. I'll keep that in mind if I do decide to go that route. :thumbsup

  64. #64Jeff D.2007-03-20 00:03

    Here's alittle info on it: http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/dataaccess/unlimited_access_plan.shtml

  65. #65Countryboy2007-03-20 00:31

    Thanks for the link. I just talked to the sales dept and they have a free 30 day trial where I can see if I like it. A friend of mine has a laptop so I will let him take the trial and see how it works down here. Thanks again. :drinkup

  66. #66CM19952007-03-20 07:28

    Nextel service contract - $55.70 per month unlimited Motorola phone with direct connect - $199.99 Getting to finish an important phone call with your banker about your next project you are so eagerly waiting to get WITHOUT having to call him back 3 times while you are in the middle of a downtown that has a population of 400K people because NEXTEL can't seem to keep a steady signal - PRICELESS Nextel customer for 10 years - that walkie talkie thingy is more addictive than crack. Phone absolutely sucks for lack of a better term. I use a Verizon broadband card and it is awsome although pricey - $50 per month unlimited. They quality is as good and as fast as land line DSL. That's how I can improve my efficiency in the field by keeping up with HEF.:usa

  67. #67Squizzy246B2007-03-20 08:55

    Please explain further

  68. #68CM19952007-03-20 09:20

    Verizon wireless has a broadband card for "on the go" internet service and I think Sprint has one too. It is a wireless modem that fits into your PCMCIA slot on a laptop. The speed is as fast as DSL in the service area. Here in Birmingham, Al it's pretty much every where I work. It's darn cool. Plug it up to your laptop, log on and you can download email and surf the web running 70MPH down the highway - of course if someone else is driving! This website can probably explain it better than I can. http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bbapccard.html Later CM

  69. #69Squizzy246B2007-03-20 17:05

    Thanks CM...Now I know what you are talking about....I have the wireless modem built in to my laptop. Coverage is pretty limited here in the Wild West.

  70. #70CM19952007-03-20 20:43

    No problem!:thumbsup

  71. #71Lashlander2007-03-29 10:17

    Well, where are them pics?:beatsme

  72. #72Countryboy2007-03-29 20:08

    :update Pictures, is that what you do with the camera? I had checked with them last Friday and that model had been put on back order from Olympus till an unknown date........or so I was told. It appears that a couple days after I ordered it, it was put on backorder. :beatsme So, I am currently checking out other models but am kinda inclined to wait for that one. You won't see pictures though until I get a computer that I can actually upload them too.

  73. #73Lashlander2007-03-30 02:14

    Oh alright, I guess i'll give it a little more time. For now! opcorn

  74. #74Squizzy246B2007-04-09 02:40

    Ok, thats it...times up...where's the bloody camera??? ..I hope you got another camera too...so you can take pics of the first camera

  75. #75digger242j2007-04-09 02:49

    Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be. Get a mirror...

  76. #76Countryboy2007-04-09 03:12

    Camera.....what camera....... Mirror, smirror.........you just stick the camera in the scanner and upload the pic. ointhead I really haven't had much time to do anything much less take care of my wish list. We had a couple guys from my area quit within the last couple weeks and I've been having to make up by working extra hours and double shifts. After all, it is Easter and looks whos working. We're sposed to be getting some more guys but until then I barely have time to sleep. Best Buy did call at the biginning of last week saying they got some in, I just haven't had time to get up there. Still working on it, I'm just having to prioritize my time.

  77. #779420pullpan2007-04-09 11:09

    i just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7K i love it got it off of BuyDig.com

  78. #78wrenchbender2007-04-09 19:22

    Seeing as how Countryboy is so busy and can't do it him self I thought I would post a pic of his camera. Maybe this will help explain the troubles he's having .....could posibly be an operator problem. Could some of you computer folks help him out? Also I think the last pic he tried was of Squizzy because you can still see some of the glare around the camera.

  79. #79CM19952007-04-09 20:03

    :lmao :lmao You know all this new technology can be a bit overwhelming.

  80. #80Squizzy246B2007-04-10 08:27

    Hey, I used to have one of those....never had the flashy light bulb thingy though

  81. #81Lashlander2007-04-10 09:27

    opcorn

  82. #82dieselpower2007-04-10 11:32

    2 years ago I bought a konica minolta dimage Z4, it has 12x optical zoom and 4.1 MPX. Makes very good pics and movies. It broke only once and the guy who made it (under waranty) said it was the first time he had a camera with that much dust and sand in it I upload al my pics through my printer/scanner/memory card station/ microwave/ expensive thing becaus I am to lazy to go all the way down to the USB port of my PC to plug the cable in (its a full 1 meter you know, thats about 3 feet) oh well, konicas camera devisison went down the drain a few months ago, don't know if sombody took it over:beatsme

  83. #83Countryboy2007-09-18 00:28

    :update.....bout time, huh. Since the last time I posted, my company has gone through a merger. Now I know your saying "Whats this got to do with the damn camera" . Well...since the companys merged, the employee discount program is up in the air right now.....so no computer for now. No computer means no fancy camera . Then the TV decided to go on vacation.....permanently. Holy Snikies them new TVs are expensive. Then you gotta buy all them cables and junk for the HD and what have you. I spent $124 on a 16' HDMI cable.....and I don't even know what "HDMI" means :beatsme. Its a Monster Cable though so atleast I got a good one.....I think. Then my Nextel decided to go on vacation.....permanently. BUT, heres where the story takes a turn for the better. My new cell phone, a Motorola i580, has a camera on it. I've been playing around with it and I think I got the sizeing and resolution down now. I just can't figure out how to get the pictures on the computer . I know I probably need a cable or something but I don't know what kind. It came with a removable memory card and the card came with a bigger card that serves as an adapter. I can't find anywhere to stick either card into the computer though. Those digital cameras would present a problem with downloading pictures on the computer, here at work, but hopefully this camera phone is basic enough that it will not be an issue. So, what do I need to make this work. When I get it going I will post some of those long awaited "Jaw-ja" pictures.

  84. #84Steve Frazier2007-09-18 06:27

    You'll need a patch cord of some type. You can either get one that fits the phone, or get a card reader. Either will plug in to a USB port. The card reader will cost about $20, not sure about a cord for the phone.

  85. #85Cat4202007-09-18 11:24

    If it stores the pictures on the memory card, you will be better off finding a card reader for the computer. I'm pretty sure they make a USB one. A cable from the phone will also work, but will unnecessarily drain the phone's battery while uploading pictures, whereas the card reader doesn't even require that the phone be on. It will also be faster than a cable from the phone. Here's a bunch of card readers, just find one that matches the format of your's.

  86. #86Steve Frazier2007-09-18 15:28

    I have one by Stratitec, it has 4 slots that cover just about all the memory formats. It cost $20, I don't recall if the cord was included.

  87. #8795zIV2007-09-18 19:09

    memory card readers I went to walmart and looked in their electronics section. Some companies now have memory card readers that only cost 10 bucks or so, just put the card in the reader, insert the reader into a USB port and it treats it just like a flashdrive, or any other type of memory device. Tomorrow I'll get a couple of pics of it.

  88. #88Orchard Ex2007-09-18 20:04

    If you get desperate and can't find the right cable you can email the picture from your phone to your email account...:bash

  89. #89Countryboy2007-09-18 22:19

    Phew, I thought I was gonna hafta buy another one of them $124 cables. I'm going to stop by Wally World when I get off this morning and pick one up. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow night. I'll start off with some of the equipment from out here at the quarry I guess. From there.....the sky is the limit. Thanks fellers. :drinkup

  90. #90Countryboy2007-09-19 19:32

    Well Walmart wasn't much help so I ordered one from Office Depot. It will be here by next Wednesday. For some reason it was no tax and no shipping fees. :beatsme Just $10.89, delivered to my house....I ain't complaining. This is the one I got: Micro SD Card Reader

  91. #9195zIV2007-09-19 21:13

    That looks something like what I got, sorry about wal-mart not having one, but they are some nice to have.

  92. #92Countryboy2007-09-20 22:03

    Thanks for the pictures 95zIV. That looks similar to how mine will work. :drinkup So after I plug the card into the reader and plug the reader into the computer, what do I do or where do I go to pull up the pictures? Does something automatically pop up or or do I have to go looking for them? What program do they need to be viewed with or will it open in a default program? Thanks for the help. :thumbsup

  93. #9395zIV2007-09-20 22:10

    Mine loads and a screen pops up automatically when I put it in. If it doesn't just got to my computer or wherever you would go to get to your drives and it should just read it as another drive, just like using a flashdrive.

  94. #94Countryboy2007-09-20 22:14

    Alright thanks.

  95. #95Steve Frazier2007-09-20 23:43

    Most likely the computer will detect the accessory and ask you what program you'd like to use to view the pics. It doesn't really matter which one you choose. Then you make a file and transfer them to there. You'll have to resize them more than likely to post them.

  96. #96Countryboy2007-09-20 23:57

    I set all the pictures to be taken at 640x480 resolution. Will they still have to be resized? I had it set like that so as not to have to resize. Or are those sizes for my phone and its different for the computer?

  97. #97Cat4202007-09-21 00:04

    They should work fine, my phone does the same thing and the pictures are usually well under the size limit when set at 640x480. The size will carry over from the phone to the computer.

  98. #98Countryboy2007-09-21 00:11

    Good deal. I see all the resizing troubles that are posted and I was trying to skip that step.

  99. #99LowBoy2007-09-21 08:33

    I wish we could vote on having that :soapbox 640 X 640 sizing deal removed, so normal pictures could be viewed. I know it's a real pain to move your index finger up & down on the wheel of the mouse to scroll down to see bigger pictures, but what the heck, it'll strengthen that finger eventually, and some good could actually come out of that. :idea :shf : :stirthepot

  100. #100sbrem2007-09-21 17:03

    I agree. Thats the only thing I wish was different with this board. Every other one I am on you can just use IMG tags to post pictures with and it is so much easier IMO.

  101. #101Construct'O2007-09-21 21:02

    I'll third that !!!!!!!:usa

  102. #10295zIV2007-09-21 23:12

    Now I've done it Just when I get my pictures posted, I now no longer own that card reader. One of the guys I work with had one that goes in the PCM slot on the computers. It didn't work in his laptop, but it did in mine. Mine worked in his computer so we just swapped them out this is what the new one looks like, it'll do sd, memory sticks and smartmedia cards.

  103. #10395zIV2007-09-21 23:16

    what a process just to post pictures I took the pictures, put the card back in the camera, transfered the pictures to the card. Put the card back in the reader, named them, resized them and then posted them.

  104. #104Countryboy2007-09-24 23:43

    :update Well here's a picture of my new camera. The technology is amazing these days....my camera has a built in cell phone. As far as picture quality, it ain't no digital camera picture but its pretty decent. Resizing is no issue because options are available for picture size and quality. Uploading is simple with a simple and inexpensive card reader. To conclude my review of the Nextel i580, I give it 2 thumbs up. :thumbsup :thumbsup

  105. #105CM19952007-09-25 08:59

    CB - I had that same phone (Nextel) and it is a good one. I now have an i880 because my i580 didn't stand up to well to a tractor running over it and the Nextel store was out of i580 to replace it.:Banghead I have the insurance plan - and boy do I need it - so they told me the i580 was back ordered for 2 weeks and I could wait or pay $50 and get a i880 now. Tough decision BTW - the i880 doesn't hold to well when you drop it in the road while getting into the dump truck and not realize you lost it until 5 miles down the road and a car runs over it.:Banghead (They were able to "repair" the i880 this time. )

  106. #106Countryboy2007-09-25 20:55

    Thats the same reason I get the Mil Spec phones.....I'm constantly dropping, wetting, and squashing them. One of these days they'll make us guys some phones in the shape of a bowling ball. Then they might last a little while.

  107. #107Construct'O2007-09-25 21:31

    I'm thinking more in as if in RUBBER !!!!!!! ball.:drinkup

  108. #108CM19952007-09-26 07:55

    10-4! Maybe someday.

  109. #109Countryboy2007-12-27 00:44

    Well, look what Santa left in my stocking.... Canon Power Shot A570 IS . Not really the one I wanted but it was free . This thing has a crazy amount of features: Continuous Shooting Mode, Image Stabilization, Movie Mode, Face Detect and many more I can't even comprehend. It also has a Super Macro mode which allows you to take pictures of objects as close as 1 inch away from the lense....super detailed pictures. The lens can also be replaced with 4 other lenses that are available for the camera. I'm looking to purchase the tele-photographic one for the super long shots :cool2. I've got to get another card reader to be able to post pictures with it but lemme tall ya, this thing is SWEET. I've already been through 3 sets of batteries playing with it.

  110. #110Construct'O2007-12-27 13:18

    Acouple more things you need! First you need to go get rechargeable batterys,and a charger to go with them.I found one that charges mine in 15 minutes. They make others that take longer,but you know as guys,times money,but always in a hurry and,then there is the last minute thing. I have had my camera for over three years and i'm stilll using the same batterys.I bought extra set of battery,but have never opened them yet,because of the fast charger. The spares was if i went some where and didn't want to take the charger,then i had spares. They sure like batterys, don't they. The other thing is a nice carrying case.Get one with a strap,so you can carry it around your neck.Most of them has extra pocket to carry the card and extra battery in.Have fun:usa

  111. #111Cat4202007-12-27 13:32

    Nice. We got my mom a Canon SX100 for her birthday in November and it's amazing what great shots you can take with it. Watch out taking family pictures though, if you have any slight blemish, the camera will pick up ALL details I recommend checking out this website to figure out how to use all the settings. I know I still don't know what half of them do. Here's a couple that I took. The first one was taken from 25 feet away and the last two were taken from the same spot, just with different zoom levels.

  112. #112Tigerotor77W2007-12-27 19:28

    I'm definitely a Canon PowerShot guy (for the point and shoots)... I have an A610 and an S3 IS, and I love them both. Awesome gift -- let me know if you have any questions using it! I'll probably switch to Nikon for my dSLR stuff, but that's a couple thousand dollars I don't have right now.

  113. #113Countryboy2007-12-27 21:32

    Got the case but need to get the batteries. I'm looking at the Duracell Rechargable 2700 mah. Anyone tried these? WOW, now that is a great site. Got some quality reading to do tonight. Thanks for the link. :drinkup My first dumb question ....... When I first opened the camera, I took a couple pictures. I hadn't inserted the memory card yet so the pictures were saved on the internal memory. How do I transfer pictures from internal memory, to the card, without having to hook up to a computer?

  114. #114Jeff D.2007-12-27 21:39

    So, he is real then?! :wink2 I'm impressed with Cat420's second and third pics, and the zoom abilities of that digital Canon. He's much steadier holding a camera than me though, that zoomed pic would've been blurry from my shakie hands, that far away. CB, if your new one is as good you owe Santa, bigtime!!

  115. #115Countryboy2007-12-27 22:11

    Yes, he is...but I found out that HE is actually a SHE....and SHE lives at my house. Image Stabilization is da bomb and handles that problem easily....that's cheating isn't it. OK, Im gonna try to get some pictures up....

  116. #116Countryboy2007-12-27 22:45

    First set of pictures with the new camera....:woohoo I've got picture size at 640x480 and quality set at the lowest setting to meet forum parameters....and the pictures are fantastic. I took some pictures from across the pit (probably 1/4 mile distance), at largest picture size and highest quality and I could easily make out the driver in the haul truck....that's at a quarter mile distance . This thing is awesome. Newest card reader with SD memory card. This one reads SD, MiniSD and MicroSD memory cards. Card reader and and MicroSD memory card for the cell phone. I try not to breathe when handling the card cause it might blow away. Camera case

  117. #117Construct'O2007-12-27 22:53

    My batterys are Ray/Vac NIMH 2000mah and says 15 minute rechargeable on the side of them. More info,charger will charge up to 4 AA or AAA Ray/Vac I-C3 batteries in 15 minutes. Other types like rechargeable alkaline will burst. The charger i got is also Ray /Vac model PS6 Works great so far. Says on the back that charges regular NIMH or NICD batteries over night.:usa

  118. #118PSDF3502007-12-27 23:02

    When I bought my replacement (olympus stylus 800) camera 2 years ago I bought 2 extra batteries because the ones that came with the cannon I had previously drained far to quickly. These things last forever. I have taking hundreds of pics and it has sat for months and go to take pic thing is still working. I obviously have charged since I have had it. But only a few times, since may 05. Wish my camcorder was the same. Thing is a battery drainer of the highest order. I need to remove battery when not in use.

  119. #119PSDF3502007-12-27 23:07

    I have also set my camera at the 640x480. But with the program I use to resize (which is still necessary) does a great job of reducing even my 3264x2448 to fit and still look good online. I use www.xat.com it was a free download.

  120. #120Countryboy2007-12-27 23:15

    I've also got picture quality set to normal, which puts the pictures between 90-100 KB. With both of those settings I don't have to do any resizing. I'll check out the link you gave me. If it's easy enough, I'll make copies of the pictures and just resize the copies. That way my originals can remain in the highest picture quality. Or is that not how you do it? :beatsme All the resizing is confusing so I just try to skip that step all together.

  121. #121PSDF3502007-12-27 23:22

    When I resize and when I save I just give differant name. Unless it is really just a pic I took for online. I do that because I am far to ignorant to figuire out all the funtion on my camera.

  122. #122PSDF3502007-12-27 23:40

    Countryboy just added a couple pics to timber prodution thread. What I had to do is compress images but they were taking 640x480. If they had been done at bigger/better quility I would of also had to resize then compress. When I have done that pic looks like a postage stamp in xat but when looked at elsewhere it comes out right.

  123. #123Countryboy2007-12-27 23:52

    Interesting, I might have to fiddle with that a little bit and see how it works for me. Right now, with my current settings, I pull the memory card from the camera, insert card into card reader, insert reader into computer and pull pictures directly from the reader, which upload to the site no problem. The only issue I'm left with is that I have no super-high quality originals. What you're talking about will be a little more work but might leave me in a better position with the quality originals. The work computer won't let me see the site so I'll have to check it out later. Thanks for the help. :drinkup

  124. #124PSDF3502007-12-27 23:57

    I plug into a port from computer to camera. Card never comes out really. I say try it you will like it. Been using it since I got online. Was turned onto it from forestryforum.com They have very limited space so pics are even smaller. They dont use vbulletine. Guess I should add the reason I down load the way I do for the life of me dont know why but my card don't fit in my printers card slots.

  125. #125RamDodge2007-12-28 06:25

    Shooting pics are great fun. I have been a Canon user since I was a kid, and for some strange reason I always walk out the store with a new Canon every time. I used Canon EOS SLR for many years before I went digital. First with a Powershot D30, then a Powershot SD700IS. But I missed my old SLR so I finally took the step ut to Canon D400 (XTi in the states) So now I can use my old lenses and will look into some new glass here shortly. I want some really wide angel, but they are pricey (about $600 for just the lens) I still use my SD700 though it's vey compact and very easy to just put in the pocket. I also have a decent camera on my Sony Ericcson cellphone I use quit often. I highly recomend taking photos in the highest possible reolution that the camera can manage, and then reduse size to upload on the forum. The picture quality are much better that way, but avoid digital zoom, thats just useless. I use a program called IRFanView for resizing, it's small, easy to use and you can do bulk resizing, and the best. It's free Check it out here http://www.irfanview.com/ I also use a memory card reader for easy and fast upload to my computer. I don't those fancy programs that put images in strange locations. I just drag and drop in windows where I want them. To be a little safer I have a seperate physical HD in my computer where I save all my pictures, that way they won't be damaged if Windows takes a crap

  126. #126PSDF3502007-12-28 09:12

    I agee about the digital zoom. xat also does the bulk resizing (just an fyi). Never used it though (don't know why). As for card or the way I upload. My pics go exactly were I want them in my pictures. In a folder of there own. I can upload as many or as few as I want.