Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment Names

CM1995 ยท 2007-03-11 21:26

One thing I think is really neat about this forum is learning alot of different ideas from people in other parts of the world. One interesting thing I enjoy is learning what other people call particular pieces of equipment. (Especially from our friends where the toilets flush backwards) So lets get a "dictionary" of equipment nicknames from different parts of the world going. So state your area of the world/country/region and what you call the machines you work with every day. Southeast US: Hydraulic excavator - track hoe or just hoe Bulldozer - dozer Track loader - loader Backhoe loader - rubber tire Skid steer - bobcat Articulated dump truck - artic Extending boom forklift - lull Compact hydraulic excavator- mini hoe Compactor - roller or sheepsfoot Shovel - :cussing :usa

Replies28
  1. #1jhill2007-03-11 22:01

    Michigan Hydraulic excavator - excavator Bulldozer - dozer Backhoe laoder - backhoe or hoe Skidsteer - Bobcat Mini Excavator - mini ex Shovel - mexican backhoe

  2. #2chevy942007-03-11 22:05

    HAHA i like that last one

  3. #3CM19952007-03-11 22:18

    I was going there with the shovel - darn political correctness.:beatsme I forgot one- Porta toilet - "going to the condo" (now this one should be good)

  4. #49420pullpan2007-03-11 22:35

    eastern states Excavator- Track Hoe-Hoe Dozer- Blade Rubber Tire Loader- Front-end Loader Track Loader- Track Loader Motor Grader- Grader Scraper- Pan Articulated haul truck- haul truck

  5. #5hoeman6002007-03-11 22:45

    eastern PA backhoe (pippen) p&h pine handle shovel-hickery hi lift, or mexican dragline

  6. #6Ford LT-90002007-03-11 23:11

    West Coast of B.C. Excavator Hoe Mini Ex Mini Backhoe Loader Rubber tired hoe Bulldozer Dozer Articulated dump Rock Truck Skid steer Bobcat Dump truck Gravel Truck Potable Toilet Fiber Can Shovel Goon spoon or Mexican backhoe

  7. #7hvy 1ton2007-03-12 00:08

    Dead Center USA, KS, The ones i have to add. Hydraulic Excavator -backhoe, x Bulldozer - cat, pusher, pushcat Track Loader - hi-lift, hi-loader, there are more, but they escape me. Backhoe Loader - sewer special, digger Motor Grader- road dozer, blade Skid steer - you guys actually use these things, I thought they just did wheelies! Wheel Loader- front loader, Articulated Dump Truck - dump, rock truck, adt Scraper- elevator, pull pan, push pan Compact hydraulic excavator- mini, mini-x Compactor - rollover :shf you gotta watch out for those old hands!

  8. #8CM19952007-03-12 00:25

    :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh

  9. #9CM19952007-03-12 00:28

    Fiber can :bouncegri ointlaugh

  10. #10Countryboy2007-03-12 01:27

    Georgia Excavator - Track Hoe Excavator w/ hammer - Pecker Rubber tired Loader - Loader Motorgrader - Grader Dozer - Dozer Skidsteer - Skidder Portapotty - Nasty Shovel - Work

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-03-12 01:56

    I think the term fiber can come from when the early versions of the porta johnnys were made of fiberglass. I won't use one unless I really have to I can't stand walking into one and seeing other peoples deposits :throwup There are other terms used in the construction industry like the lube to lubricate the bead on tires is called whale snot. When I worked in the gravel mine penetrating oil like WD-40 is called Weasel Pizz. Then there are terms for operators like dozer operators are called cat skinners and guys that blast called powder monkeys.

  12. #12hoeman6002007-03-12 02:25

    :usa port o poty - mexican photo lab sit down wait for splash! wipe to expose picture!:throwup ointlaugh rake- mexicam moter grader tar pot-bitch pot(bitch to get off)

  13. #13Countryboy2007-03-12 02:26

    :laugh Thats just so wrong in so many different ways........but still funny.

  14. #14Squizzy246B2007-03-12 08:25

    Sandgroper terriotry Down Under Rockbreaker - Nose picker or Rib Tickler Shovel - Banjo Wheel Loader - Loader or FEL Hydraulic Excavator - Excavator or Digger TLB - Backhoe JCB TLB - Oil Strainer Any skid Steer - Bobcat (regardless or Brand) BullDozer - by model ie. D9 Komatsu - Komatapillar Perkins engine in Cat machine - Perkapillar MHI engine in Cat machine - Mitsupillar Pallet forks - ShishKebab Axe - Kelly Helicopter - Mixmaster Belongum Jesus...its a long story Anything that has a chain and digs a trench - Ditch Witch (regardless of brand)

  15. #15Red627F2007-03-12 10:45

    Scrapers-Wiggle Wagons

  16. #16CM19952007-03-12 20:44

    I know they are not equipment but I started this so: Inspectors - non structural backfill Geotechs - Pain in my XXX EPA inspectors - hippies When all 3 are together - heaven forbid- dumb, dumb and dumber :usa

  17. #17Dozerboy2007-03-12 21:24

    Skidsteer-Skidloader midwest Trackloader-Traxcavator midwest The rest are not PG13

  18. #18csquared2007-03-12 22:55

    bulldozer: Cat or ex. d-6 Excavator: Hoe Skid steer: bobcat Proscosser(sp) Dangle head Adt: buggy Thats all i can think of

  19. #19544D102007-03-13 00:02

    I know this aint PC but on our jobs the Potable Toilet is the Mexican Internet, cause of all their graffitti and such

  20. #20CM19952007-03-13 08:51

    : :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh Ain't that the truth.

  21. #21digger242j2007-03-13 10:35

    I can't believe some of the objectionable material that's shown up on the walls of the porta-johns at our sites, and it has nothing to do with anyone's country of origin. These are all guys who grew up right here in western PA.

  22. #22Dozerboy2007-03-13 21:39

    Rod Busters are the worse for that crap

  23. #23Mass-X2007-03-13 23:57

    In Utah, western US. Hydraulic excavator - Track hoe or hoe Bulldozer - Dozer Track loader - Track loader or Traxcavator Backhoe loader - Rubber Tire Hoe Skid steer - Bobcat/Skidster/Skidder Articulating Dump Truck - Rock Truck or occasionally ADT Rigid Frame Dump Truck - Haul Truck Compact Hydraulic Excavator - Mini X Hydraulic Shovel - Shovel or Pecker Dipper Scraper - Scraper or occasionally referred to as a Can Water Scraper - Water Pull or Water Weenie Motor Grader - Blade

  24. #24deeredude2007-03-16 21:22

    northern indiana hoe dozer loader backhoe or combination bobcat off road trucks roller or sheeps foot grader

  25. #25wrenchbender2007-03-20 18:43

    South east USA Milatary vehicles Anything with 4 wheels= Jeep Anything with 6 wheels = Duce and a Half Any thing with tracks = Tank civil equipment Y'all already got it coverd

  26. #26CM19952007-03-20 20:50

    Wrenchbender - I like the military angle.:usa

  27. #27wrenchbender2007-03-21 21:36

    That's the way guys around here think, I'm not in the military and never have been. But I haul quite a bit of military surplus from time to time. People are always asking about them $50 Jeeps my reply is if they were $50 I'd buy'em all.lol

  28. #28Dualie2007-03-22 20:24

    northern CA Telescopic material handler - gradeall Hydraulic excavator - excavator or EX Backhoe - Hoe Motor Grader - Blade Dozer- Dozer Wheel Loader - Loader or FEL Anything that has a chain and digs a trench - Ditch Witch (regardless of brand) Shovel - Idiot or **** up stick or Mexican back hoe