I need to know the dimisions of a field i need the dirt stripped off of how do you go about getting these dimisions so i know how much dirt there is and what do you use to get it .Im new at this and need some help on how to do it. Thanks.
You get one of these: http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/distance-measuring-wheel-foldable-w-light/ and you measure up the field. Then length x width x depth you want to strip gives cubic volume (work all in same units) eg. 100yds long x 60 yards wide x .1 yd = 600yd3 Plus add 20-30% for bulk up if the ground is hard/compacted. Of course if scale plans are available you don't have to measure up, just do the maths. Then if there is material/vegetation above ground you need to allow for that....plus all the stumps buried in the ground you can't see...
well you go out there with a walking wheel or a pull tape and you get the dimensions....then you figure out how much you need cut out and that will give you the cubic feet you need stripped (or yards depending how you took your measurements)
legenth x with x depth devide by 27 = cy.
Only if you measure in feet:cool2
There's other ways to measure?
Yes indeedy, while practically the whole world uses the metric system (apart from a bunch of unit rebels somewhere south of Canada) he may have been measuring in nibw, or the double foot, or maybe in paces, fathoms, rods, stadia, chains or furlongs
Don't worry Squizzy, that probably won't last much longer as it is, they no longer teach math in the US, just calculators. This way it's one more push for the metric system. I found an interesting thing out here just a couple of days ago, the subway systems here use chains to measure distance not miles like everyone else.
In shipping, for depth or bottom oceanography the metre is the official unit....but for speed and distance its the Nautical mile.....go figure
Really? I still thought it was the fathom.:beatsme But then again, I tend to avoid water as much as possible, I would much rather die a quick firey death in a plane crash then I would drown. Air traffic is in feet and mph too.
Download a version of Google Earth off the internet. (free) Type in the address in the search box. It should take you at least close enough to find the property you're measuring. There is a ruler on the upper left hand of google earth. Click on the ruler and choose feet. Click on a starting point and drag. This will give you a good measurement right in the comfort of your home. I have measured several jobs with google earth and it works great. I have also found our county website has photos of properties and have used that multiple times also, if you just need to look at the front of the property for drives, landscaping, grading work.