Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DIY 1” hydraulic seal installer tool

Birdseye · 2022-10-15 11:38

I needed a small size install tool for 1” lipped , inside piston / rod seal and didn’t want to order or wait. So I made one from a piece of square tube and 5/32 welding rod. it did the trick.

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042022-10-15 13:43

    looks good as my factory ones, and has a nice handle

  2. #2Coaldust2022-10-15 23:43

    Crafty, like a fox. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

  3. #3Swetz2022-10-16 06:15

    Looks real good!!

  4. #4Birdseye2022-10-16 12:53

    Getting the 1” seal into the 3/4” (?) bore was such a close fit that I swapped out the 5/32” center pin (of the 3) for 3/32” piece of welding Rod. This thinner rod didn’t have much strength to resist sideways deflection but I made it work by holding it as I wrapped the seal backwards. The space saved w the thinner center pin allowed the three pins and folded seal to fit in the small bore and release. A good use for a few of the pile of rods that sit on the shelf.