Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do i fire now or later

Moonlite ยท 2014-11-20 21:58

I am the primary care giver for my mom. I have a lady that stays with her from 830-500 monday thru friday. Or atleast thats the way its suppose to be. At the end of the yr my mom is going to live with my youngest brother. We are still making his house handicap accesable for her. We offered the current sitter more money and drive time to go there. She turned it down so she knows her job is ending. We have made arrangements with another sitter for when mom moves. The current sitter has gotten to where she wants off a day during the wk.for about last 6 wks. She always tells me the day before. When she takes off i have to take off. So do i cut her loose and pay the other one $2 hr more and drive time to come here until bros house is finished?

Replies13
  1. #1Steve Frazier2014-11-20 22:31

    That's your call. How much is your time worth? On the flip side, it sounds like Mom is elderly? The opportunity to spend more time with her while you can has its merits too.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-11-20 23:10

    Can you or you job afford you to take the time off. If so as Steve said, great time together that can never be replaced. If it is a great hardship, pay the 2 bucks difference and let her go. Is she spending the time interviewing for another job and due to say goodbye any day anyway?

  3. #3Moonlite2014-11-20 23:23

    My shorter work day on day that i work and missing a full days work cost me about $500-$600 a wk in lost wages. I would gladly keep giving that up for mom. But as it is im just making my bills each wk. i have had the shorter work days since march. The lady is not interviewing for other jobs that i know of. The biggest problem i have with the her needing a day off every week is not scheduling it. Just oh by the way i need tomoro off. Then i gotta reschedule my stuff.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-11-21 01:33

    Myself, I would pull the pin and nicely ease her out. Maybe the new sitter would like to start a couple days a week and they could split the work until the move?

  5. #5D&GExcavating2014-11-24 21:02

    If you can't afford to lose time at your job, cut her loose and pay the extra $2 an hour for the other one to watch her.

  6. #6Moonlite2014-11-24 21:09

    Dealt with it this morning.

  7. #7D&GExcavating2014-11-24 21:19

    What did you decide?

  8. #8Moonlite2014-11-24 21:35

    Nicely as i could i told her that i appreciated all the help but that i needed someone 5 days a wk and that she had personal things she had to take care of that didnt allow her 5 days a wk so i would let her work this wk and then i had someone else coming.

  9. #9D&GExcavating2014-11-24 21:39

    I would say that was the best choice

  10. #10JGibson2014-11-29 10:23

    I agree with how you handled it. I have a disabled brother likewise. We are in the process of getting him into an independent living program. Its tough but if everything works out it will be great. And never go cheap when it comes to care, that never ends well.

  11. #11Fatjay2014-12-05 20:51

    That's a hard situation. If I put myself in her shoes, I'd have no job coming up, and typically the only time to interview is during the day. If she's going on legitimate interviews for the next job that she needs, because I'm assuming she has bills to pay, I would try to work something out. However if she was just flaking off because she didn't care anymore, that's another story entirely.

  12. #12Moonlite2014-12-05 21:10

    As far as i know she wasnt interviewing for another job. We both knew job was ending. I wouldnt have minded her looking for job. It dont take all day to do that. Mom likes new sitter she gets up at 8 am now. They go to town, spend time outside when the wind is not blowing. Sitter even has her helping dust watnots. They have started going through things room by room ( not personal stuff) just cloths and things like that.

  13. #13Fatjay2014-12-05 21:14

    I understand, I just try to give the benefit of the doubt, but you know the situation better than I do obviously. A whole day does sound excessive even if she was interviewing. Glad to hear the new sitter is working out!