Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Does “Steel Seal” work? What are some other simple choices for cracked head?

Mountainlion ยท 2011-08-09 12:30

I see a bunch of adds for Steel Seal and was looking for something cheaper. I know that Water Glass works on gas engines and expect that it would work on high compression diesel. I have a couple 6.2 GM diesel heads with cracks and an old 409. I would weld them up before I paid $80 for chemicals.

Replies9
  1. #1shawneecat2011-08-09 13:10

    http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...ics/401232.gif $20.99 at advance auto amazon.com has it$14.99 plus shipping 32 oz. http://catalog.miniscience.com/Catal...e/Default.html $45.00 for 10 pounds of power ebay has got it 1 gallon $40.00 bucks free shipping $80.00 I think you paid too much Read these two pages. Does get any more easy

  2. #2jimg9842011-08-09 15:01

    ha!!! bad links on both,,, do it right weld or replace heads

  3. #3shawneecat2011-08-10 15:50

    The links worked when I posted answer to :580ck coolant blowing out rad cap It's what every floats your boat 984 spend money for head gaskets, hmm do it right spent money for new valves, hmm need new valve springs too, new injectors also , head needs grinding why hell just rebuild the hole da gum motor do it right? 984

  4. #4jimg9842011-08-10 16:45

    GOOD, even a Cat can WISEUP

  5. #5shawneecat2011-08-10 19:43

    hmm don't forget new valve guides any maybe two or three new valve seats with the way things are the (economy) loan me some money, better yet just give it to me, to repair that engine when $21.00 might just be as good. The way the things are with the obama economy they are predicting 50% unemployment and 100% inflation for 2012 all of us will WISEUP with that. The way the are printing money out of thin air to run the government. Do a search on the internet for : 50% unemployment and 100% inflation for 2012 and see what comes up! Might have to sell the backhoe to China for scrape.

  6. #6nitro2011-08-13 19:23

    1 head gasket 1 drill bit 1/8 and 2 welding rods for cast get some coolant in the cyl. and bend the rod and its like honeymoon night all over again

  7. #7Ronsii2011-08-13 20:05

    Make sure you preheat that head to the proper specs before welding or you will have more of a problem than when you started. I got a '54 GMC dump truck from someone about two weeks later it was running awful rough... come to find out someone had welded up the head and a piece of weld cracked off and went through the exhaust valve(bent and chipped it) fortunately that was the only damage... the bad news was noone could find me a valve for it so I had a local machine shop rebore it for some newer valves(100 bucks) So to get it running again it was a few hundred dollars more than I was expecting to pay aa because they didn't weld it right :-(

  8. #8shawneecat2011-08-18 18:18

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/drunken-ben-bernanke-tells-everyone-at-neighborhoo,21059/#enlarge 1984 see if this link works!!!!!

  9. #9shawneecat2011-08-18 18:21

    Can 984 WISE UP!!!!!