Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 shuttle shift

gammer ยท 2011-08-09 21:24

I Just finished replacing all the bearings and cups in the transmission, also replaced second gear. I reinstalled the shafts and torque to spec, then spun the shaft with no load and it is sticking after one complete revolution, you need to give it a quick snap to free it up. I removed all shafts and put them on a lathe all are good not bent has feared, but that leaves a big question what is causing it. I will get the inner race gauged that the top gear fits into to see if this is causing the problem. have alot of money invested! need to get this running.... Anyone ever had this problem!! excepting all suggestions feel free!

Replies2
  1. #1OldandWorn2011-08-18 06:13

    Just a guess here, but it sure sounds like a slightly bent shaft. Are the bearings loaded tapered rollers or ball? Does it lock up in the same place every time? Can you use a surface plate and V blocks on the bearing journals to check for straightness instead of a lathe.

  2. #2shopteacher 12011-08-22 00:36

    I agree with Worn, try a surface plate and v blocks with a dial indicator - it will give you a more accurate reading.