I run into this on a regular basis, one of our trucks hits a deer it goes under trailer and breaks the air lines to parking brake chambers. Usually happens out of range for us in the shop to repair it. So a roadside service is called and use ancient brass DOT fittings to repair the hoses. I appreciate the fact it's fixed {I get that} but Most of these shops need to step up to this century. Below are examples of brass 3/8" hose fittings of yesteryear-those have a tendency of corroding the threads plus when removing those type do not swivel {a piece of yesteryear crap} that take too many large wrenches. The Tramec Sloan 31402 fitting has been around now since 2000. It will swivel at both ends when installed, can be assembled on the spot at work area. Takes three tools-a sharp knife to cut hose, 3/8" allen wrench, and a 11/16" open end wrench. One kit does both ends of hose for $4.99 way less than the brass. So if you have any to repair do someone a favor use the Tramec/Sloan kit. Also comes in 1/2" NPT.
I have made my share of repair under trailers with the old style. pain in the neck that they don't swivel. And these repair were all rubber line with that type of compression. The picture may not do it justus , but the 31402 appears to be for plastic line. That's what I see? So I goggled it. here is link https://tramecsloan.com/products/ai...s/quick-fix-kit-for-38-hose-with-38-fittings/ Looks good. Better days ahead.
No-----It's for 3/8's rubber hose. If I have to make a video how it's done on 3/8" rubber air line I will.
I’ve used both doing roadside repairs really prefer the newer style and most truck stops carry them or used to I haven’t looked in awhile
I still go old school on these. I've had issues with that new fangled style, and never really have issues with the old school setup.
Thanks for the info. I haven't had to work on a truck in twenty years so I guess I'm still in the last century.
99% of trailer manufactures use those fittings. Utility, Great Dane to name just a few that have used those for the last twenty years.
NO, lol. Guess I should have finished my sentence. Looks good , they show rubber line. LOL. Cheers
Did not know there was an option. Thanks for the info. I, like John C, haven't had the need. It's nice to know there's options.
I like the heavy braided fabric lines with reusable fittings for trucks that get off the pavement. Around here tractors pulling center dumps are run like old pans and the rubber lines rip on a small chunk of ash or junk. I hate patching them up on the mine site.
I love the quick fix fittings. Any time I have to deal with the old style the urge to destructively remove comes on, came with compression fittings on poly line.
I did? do as well, except for the first time as I watched the hose rip in two as I loosened the fitting. Had not seen it before. Hat was off and I was scratching my head for a bit.
Bump. https://www.finditparts.com/product...RvGcBPwjBz0cSbCC5bUhoCABUQAvD_BwE#description
That's bulk for $2.24 each, those come two each in the tube for 4.99. At bulk and shipping it's a wash.
Yup, got that. Thanks Truck Shop. I was curious if you had any recommendations on air hose manufacturers, suppliers, etc…..
Another question on these here fittings Truck Shop. Would these be a good choice for making up new front rubber air hose for my service brake chambers?
Sure, just add enough hose for pivot.