Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer purchase advice

daren99 ยท 2011-12-08 19:22

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a dozer in the 90 to 100 hp range. I have Cat, Deere, Case, and Komatsu dealers here. The service from all of them is pretty good so that's not a deciding point. I guess what I'm wondering is what are your recommendations. I've rented a 650h lgp on a few occasions and liked it. I don't think I need an lgp, I'm thinking a long track would work fine. I don't work any steep slopes and not to much soft ground. I need it for mostly grading. I run mostly Deere equipment, but I'm not married to them. I just want a good dependable machine no matter what brand. Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Daren

Replies9
  1. #1buckfever2011-12-08 21:03

    If you can get into a cat hi-track version, there the way to go. If the 650 was a good size look at a d4 or d5. If your looking for something with a little better visability any deere will do. Don't like case or komatsu.:my2c I think cat high tracks are a much more reliable but the deere are more operatore friendly.

  2. #2daren992011-12-09 09:03

    Thanks Buckfever, how is the visibility in the high tracks? I do a fair amount of residential work. Actual machine size how does a d5 high track compare to the 650?

  3. #3JTS512011-12-11 06:54

    Being that service is not a concern. Narrow it down to late models, well maintained and let price decide. Stay away from rental fleet machines.

  4. #4CASE CRAZY2011-12-12 17:00

    Hello, new here, i am in the Operators Union and have had the chance to run about every brand of dozer made, i do also reccomend going with a cat high track. Thanks

  5. #5MRRPM2011-12-12 18:18

    When making equipment purchases, I consider the resale value pretty hard, if I intend to update in a few years. If you buy what machine works best, but has no resale value, it's going to hafta be really good to makeup for the loss on resale, or trade, and vise versa.

  6. #6daren992011-12-14 19:05

    Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what happens in the next few months.

  7. #7rock882011-12-14 21:41

    Good equipment for Dozers

  8. #851kw2011-12-15 08:39

    My only thought on this is you cant see the back of the tracks on a high track. Found that tough in some tight spots. 650JD is a great dozer in that size class.

  9. #9DEERE310SG2011-12-15 13:13

    I would go with a Deere too. I have run a 450H LT & a 550J both great dozers. That is :my2c Kyle