My Fiat41b is in dire strait of needing to have the radiator cleaned the center seems ok but the rest is full of grime do any of you know of a good degreaser that i can put in a sprayer and soak it down before i powerwash it, right now i cant remove it, im under the gun the murphy switch will shut my engine down to an idle when it gets warm or about a 1/4 before the red on the guage on hot days.
Our air conditioning tech uses a waterd down acid on condeser coils,lets it set 15 min then washes it out cant remember what kind of acid offhand though.
Degreader Calgon HD..Works great and will not damage metals and paint like the acids and various other cleaners..Garden hose pressure will wash the gunk out..not like a pressure washer that will bend the fins and create more problems than you started with................
I use easy-off oven cleaner. I spray it on, let it sit for a half hour, and then pressure wash it clean. Has worked fantastic for me.
last time I used a cold water pressure washer on mine, it broke the bottom tubes loose from the tank. this required a complete r/r and new core along with pulleys, fan hub bearings and a weeks annoyance. If you are having this much trouble, it is probably plugged inside too.
I used dawn dishsoap let soak then powerwashed. Radiator might need taken out and boiled out and rodded.Also check the engine oil cooler the honeycomb might be getting plugged.Also the trans cooler has the same setup.Good luck.
Simple green is a good degreaser as well. spray it on and let it set an hour or so. Grease will come off better then. I use a pressure washer/steam cleaner, but use at least a 40* nozzle so you don't hurt the tubes, and if you spray straight on you won't bend the fins either. I have seen people use the 15* or even the 0* nozzle. Not a good idea if you want it to stay together. When I was in the oilfield, we got some degreaser that would cut through anything, but I can't remember what it was called. Probably it is not available anymore anyway, what with the harsh chemicals not allowed anymore.
I think I will try the simple green as i think dad might have some also the easy off that stuff has worked for my friend when he cleaned up some 4speeds for his 55 chevy.
I wouldn't use Easy Off ..Some of those radiators have aluminum A/C condensers behind them...Easy Off will go thru aluminum like Grant thru Richmond
I use oven cleaner then pressure wash if there is no aluminum ! But I do not get to close as to damage the fins with the pressure. I works great for cleaning the engine too.