As if I need another project, but I've needed to do this for a while... I have a Hyster D6N winch on the back of my D6 9U which needs some attention. After I got the cat revived I found that the controls for the winch were seized, managed to fix that but when I went to use it, it made a funny noise inside so I pulled the cover off the top and what I found inside didn't please me, there's a little idler looking gear down in there that seems to be totally worn out on the shaft or if there's a bearing in there it's toast... I'm working up the ambition to tackle this thing next time I get a chance because I could sure use the winch to pull some trees. To me it looks like I have to take the entire winch off the machine and split it in half to get at this gear... Does anybody know if there's another way to get it out and repaired? Also would it be on a bearing or a bushing? If it's on a bushing I could just machine up another one on the lathe if the shaft it's on isn't too badly damaged... Also when I pull the winch off if there's no other way to do it, do I just pull it straight back or do I have to undo anything inside the transmission? When I had the steering booster off it looked like there was just a PTO type shaft that ran forward from the winch but I wanna make sure before I bust something else... Thanks for any help!
Seem to remember that the winch slides off the pto shaft and needs to be removed for service....There's a bunch of manuals on Ebay as we speak...Cheap..May help
Pulling the winch off will be your best bet. The winch drive shaft has a splined sleeve that will just slide off the pto shaft coming out of the transmission. I cant remember if the Hyster has any nuts inside to hold the winch on or not.
manuals http://www.alliedsystems.com/pubs/pubs.htm hello spitzair ,you can down load the hyster manuals free from the link above . bruce oz
Thanks for all the help guys! Bruce, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton! Once I do get around to it I'll take pictures and post them. Looks like there is indeed a pooched bearing in there according to that parts catalogue... I guess I'll find out when I pluck it all apart. Thanks again guys!