I park my Cat D3G in a Metal Building over winter. For this part of the country, my machine is parked in a building from November until April. Is it a good practice to start the machine periodically and let it run until it warms up good?
Others are more qualified to answer than I but to answer your question - Yes. It also needs to be moved, turned and operated to keep everything from siezing up. KY is not that cold in early winter or late winter. Get that dozer out and work it some......
We sold all of our site-work equipment back in 2008 except for our little 277B. I'm still required to go out once a week to the warehouse, do a walk-around, crank it up, and drive it around the parking lot, haha. Every time we've failed to do this, the battery dies. It can't hurt to start her up and run her a little bit, right?
I usually cant run my stuff to much during winter either. I prefer to keep my machines parked in or under something as well. My problems ive had are, batteries always die, therefore i disconnect them and remove them and keep them slow charged until use. Rain and snow melt get into places you dont want or need it. I had a case 450 with some hydraulic leaks on cylinders and rain finds it way in causing unusable milky hydraulic fluid which then all has to be replaced including filters. Then there is the rust that starts to join everything together. My D31 is 6'' too tall to fit inside my shop, so it is outside, but my TL126 gets a roof. Im having the D31 moved to my No. Idaho property this summer, and unfortunately it will be outside, uncovered, sitting in 5' of snow over next winter until i get my pole barn built. I guess thats what most tractors do- sit outside when there not being used.
I would recommend applying a thin coat of grease on the chrome cylinder rods to prevent rust when storing for a long period of time.