86 TD8E will only start cold or hot with ether. Pump is timed to 14 degrees and has good fuel supply. Dozer runs great after starting. Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum aknrnclb. :usa I have to say, I know nothing about a TD8E, but does it have any type of preheat system? Maybe not working?
Is it a Cummins or a I.H. engine? Not that it would matter though. Sounds to me like an injector problem. Possible you have one that is'nt opening all the way. Does it smoke really bad when it's trying to start, or when it's running? Have you thought about the compression? Great thing about them old engines is no electronics! You might have a broken ring or two on some pistons. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, and had a couple bad injectors on my 97 Dodge Cummins that made it do what your descriping. Only it only did it when the engine was hot.
if its got the dt239 ih engine the throttle linkage is out of adjustment it has a start postion on the throttle these engines wont crank when they are out adjustment
I ran about 5 different Caterpillar dozers (D8Ns and D6LPGs) with the same problem. It always required a mechanic to remove the injector pump and send it to a Cat dealer for an overhaul. Even a hot engine needed a lot of ether for a restart.
So true and it doesn't take muchto be out of adjustment . I built one of these motors recently and when I showed my customer the Start pos. of the throttle linkage he gave me that "yeah right " look ...Hes a believer now .
Any chance it's sucking a little air somewhere in the fuel system? Once the starting fluid hits it turns fast enough to prime?
I would try and prime the fuel system before starting.
1080 bobcat has it right. The older engines had the start position on the throttle. You put the lever in that position where the fuel was run rich while cranking and when it caught, you hurried up and shoved the throttle to the run position and all would be well. Unfortunately most people now days don't know about this and just shoot the gaseous cocaine down the intake until the motor is addicted. Then even if you do get the throttle set right again it still takes either. There is the possibility the machine has been refitted with a Cummins motor and if so, you are probably stuck dealing with a cocaine addict. Good Luck!
I had a TD8E with that same problem. The cold start position was adjusted properly, still no go. Turned out the pump was weak. It ran fine with plenty of power, but didn't like to start. Had a rebuilt pump installed and it solved the problem. FWD
Thanks to all that replied!! It is at DT239, good fuel[added an inline electric pump], no glow plugs, cold start adjusted properly. Here is the plan. I pulled the injectors and sent them to [email protected] . He will test them and do what is needed at a good price. While I had the hood off I adjusted the valves. Three were off, both on #4. When I get the injectors back we'll see if it will start. If not, the pump will go to [email protected] . He will check it for free and rebuild for about half of what most shops get. He has a lot of experience with the rare[old] BOSCH VA pump that is on this TD8E. He is very helpful. I will post back with updates until I find a solution. Again thanks to HEF users for the ideas. 100"s of heads are better than my empty one.
dozer starting my case 850h will take A SNORT if offered. usually after -5 f.:usa:usa:usa
Update #1: I got the injectors back from thepumpguysc@aol and they looked great. He rebuilt all of them since only 2 popped as they should and the other 2 were pretty bad. Great service at a fair price. I installed the new injectors and the TD8 ran better than ever with no smoke BUT it still won't crank without ether. As Tinkerer and FWD have experienced in their replies I think the pump is weak and just does not produce enough pressure to pop the injectors at cranking RPM. I pulled the pump and it is off to thepumpguysc@aol . Update #2 will be coming when I get the pump back.
Cool pics
Oh that made me spit coke (drinking kind) on the computer screen. Made me think of an old Powerstroke dually we had when we were working in Kansas on a directional boring crew. That dang truck.....it could be 100 degrees outside and she aint gonna crank. All you had to do was open the hood and hold the nozzle of the ether can close to the air intake and squirt it in the opposite direction and she would bust off. Dang addict just needed to know the drug was close by! LMAO!!!
I know this is a VERY old post, and this is a shot in the dark, but i am having the same issue with my TD8. It wont start without ether, but runs like a top once she fires off. I was just curious if that rebuilt pump did the trick for you?
My Case backhoe behaves this way when the diesel tank is 3/4 or less full. I theorize the primary pump has difficulty lifting on the suction side. Recently it got real stubborn starting. We tracked it to son #2 hot wiring it cause he didn't want to walk for a key. When he replaced the wire on the ignition switch, he put it on the wrong terminal. The only time there was power to the injector pump was in run. In start there was no power to the pump. Willie