I found these pics of this D5G on another forums. What is interesting to me is that it is a Cat Rental machine. I would imagine that grading stone with one of those blades would be awesome. I mean it would beat on of those stone boxes, would give you more control and angle. What do you guys think.
It kinda reminds me of what was once called a bowl-dozer. They gave the dozer blade wings so that the machine would have greater blade capacity. But still that looks like that old technology at work right there. Well if it ain't broke don't fix it right?
Should work great for laying in base for roadways or drives. With a little care could probably do ALMOST as good a job as a grader or maintainer for holding crown and carry and fill. Not that anyone can do what a good grader hand can do.
with all those lazers you would think his grading would look a little better
I agree it is kinda a sloppy job. It looks like there are some people watching him so maybe he is just trying it out. If so he probably doesn't have much experience. Just because someone has the GPS or lazer doesn't mean the operator is good. You still have to know how to grade.
You mean that with all these computers, lazers, gps, gizzmo's, gadgets, and do-dads you still have to be an operator? Who'd of thunk of that?
Dont know about the blade. Whats up with the muffeler mounted on top of the hood?
It is probably a Catalytic Converter Muffler, they have strict emission over there. You see alot of that over there.
Dozers with Wings: Just biding your time for a place to get that one in, eh, ATCOEQUIP... Good catch... :cool2 LOL OCR...
Dozers with Wings: This is only my opinion... and I've never had a chance to spread "good" gravel, always plain old pit run. If you take two operators, with equal skill levels on there respective machines, a grader will always spread gravel better than a dozer... it's just the nature of the beasts... (design applications) OCR...
What No Hard hats ?
her is another one, D6K
im liking the colors ive always wanted to see something from cat but like black is where the yellow is and where their is yellow theirs black, understand what im trying to say like if the colors where fliped
I like those colors. Matches my trucks and stuff. Nice pictures. UMM I better brake out the welder.
They are working under power lines, so no lifting is allowed. No lifting, no risk, no hats. (Thats the law over here, if somethin else is not stated as a local regulation at the site.)
More dozers with wings, i like the idea of the triple grousers for grading. like I said these are all from another site
Hey, I used to be an old school crane operator. After I saw your post, I just thought it seems like everything is leading to replacing operators, from manufacturing to new "self driving vehicle" technology. It just seemed ironic that the operator is still hanging on even with all the new tech. I hope it remains so.
thats gool irun a D5 all must every day they are good trator
I still hop off the dozer and check grade with a transit.Those lasers "beeping" all the time drive me nuts.The wings on the dozer look like a good tool for speading stone.
Explain to me what looks sloppy about this job? I see a job site that is tight on space. Everything behind him looks to be done.
Dozers with Wings: That's my point... "new tech" doesn't necessarily mean doing away with something... To me, it usually means an improvement, or upgrade, to an existing design... :thumbsup I do believe a considerable amount of time will have to pass... before the "Skinner" is removed from the "Cat"... OCR...
I would love to go over seas and see Eberhard's operation. They have some many unique machines such as this 963 and 973 with bucket/grading box. They even have couplers.
Out of all the machines which one would you want to spend the entire day in? I would choose the D6K
We use the same thing, only differnt on our D6R's. Kinda makes a U-blade out of the strait blade. We have in the past made wings on our D4's to narrow up the blade to make a smaller pad. Sorry, no pics of that!
I don't know what looks crazier, the blade or the exhaust lol. Interesting paint scheme they have on the D6K too.
Hey JTL is that a Dell-hur truck? Where is the landfill closure?
Thats cool at first I could have sworn that with those wings they would be still considered a bowl type dozer. But not anymore you guys are right about those wings being used to aid the spreading and grading of material. I don't remember exactly what they designed the bowl-dozer for but I'll do some research and try and find out again.
The rockit blade was pretty sweet idea Too, bad i'm pretty sure they stopped making them. It was made by the guys who sold Blizzard to DD. found some info on another site if anyone hasn't seen them. http://www.hilltip.fi/?link=products&product=rockitblade1&ln=cz
Nice D6!
not a bad idea. just kinda limits that machine to fine grade only work. I'm sure that someone could make a quick attach to hook up to a root rake system on top of the blade or something similar.
Those are some interesting colors on that D6K. This is an interesting concept but seems like it would be the cats ass for putting down sub-base, I dont know if they already exist but has anything like this been modified to a blade on a motor grader? If so, i would think that would be the way to go for spreading stone and sub-base.
jared why doesnt it surprise me you would say something like that? I dont think it would work cause of your blade angle. Maybe call greevy and see if he'll let us modify the champ. JT
is this what you are talking about?
Sure is! Sweet deal. I knew there was prolly something like that out there somewhere. just never looked around.
i like the red and white
I found a video on youtube of a "New Holland 106.6a Rough Grading Crushed Asphalt", which has those wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDfCSfWVJbg
I've never seen a grader with hydraulic wings like that, only ever fixed bolt on ones. All grader operators need is one more axis of control.
I done quite a bit of finish work grading bottoms in the dumps in the Southern California area, been retired going on 7 years now, I know I got lots and lots of hours pushing a foot of sand over the bottoms with a late model 5, when we got done pushing sand then we'd have to pus the dirt over the sand. I was always trying to figure out a set of drift wing for the five, these wings on the smaller dozers their priceless. Love that picture of the 12F don't see many of them around anymore. Mike Nebergall.