Same machine that is split for center pins in another thread. 1988 Dresser 520B 3 spd trans. Cannot find a tag on the trans. Was rebuilt around 5k hrs by previous owner just before we purchased. Now has 7400 hrs I drained the trans oil and then removed the strainer. Found bronze metal shavings in it. I crawled under and stuck my hand in the strainer hole and pulled out everything seen on the rag in the pic. Need to know what they are and if I should start pulling the trans while the loader is apart and luckily split so I have more room Weird thing is trans works fine with no problems and is never making noises or overheating. Travels through all gears just fine. Any thoughts?
There probably isn't a way to know just what the previous owner did to rebuild that transmission so you don't really know if that stuff has been in there for a long time. I can't think of where that friction material could have come from. The clutch packs are basically contained so that only small pieces of brass would come out. As I recall the transmission isn't too hard to pull with the machine split so it is something to think about. I haven't seen that amount of material in one of those boxes unless something is going bad. It might save you some grief down the road to pull it now and put bearings and seals in it if nothing is found to be wrong. You might price out the bearings and seals at your dealer to help make a decision. Good Luck!
Bad, Thanks for posting all those pics. Here's some specs on your machine. There's a Co in Canada that specialise in IH/Dresser gear...I think their mechanic ROCKO is a member here. http://www.brownihc.com/ Jim
The accordian looking things look like springs from a one way roller clutch, maybe from torque converter? Like John says, hard to know if the trans rebuilder cleaned it out good when it was rebuilt. If it was my tractor, I think I'd tear it apart now, instead of waiting for it to grenade.
Hello, Is Anyone familiar with the TD15C, Powershift with the hydraulically controlled setup. I have a a TD15C and it only has low speed in forward. Reverse functions in both speeds high and low. I watch the clutch pressure guage and with each shift it drops a little and then goes back up showing that the tractor is making a shift. The guage does not move when I shift into high gear forwards. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks