Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tired Cat 966D

Dominion 410 ยท 2010-09-06 12:17

Hi, looking for some opinions here. After 27 years and well over 23,000 hours of faithful service our 966D has come to a crossroads so to speak.The engine has been replaced completely once in 1994 with a re-man from Cat and the replacement overhauled because it spun a main bearing.The transmission rebuilt about ten years ago,but did'nt get into the torque or drop box.The front diff has been replaced/patched up a couple years ago-the carrier assembly worked itself loose and wore the saddles in the housing some.The crown and pinion got mangled up so we dropped in a rebuilt unit,but the housing itself is on borrowed time.It's a little noisy but seems to be holding for now. A couple weeks ago the transmission started overheating.We checked the rad/oil cooler,dropped the oil,pulled the pick-up screen and filter.Cuttings,chunks of aluminum,clutch fibre were found.It has to come out, which is no small task.Just not sure if we want to get into a whole pile of money on a machine this old,knowing that the front diff could give up anytime.Especially when a fresh,up to spec trans/torque is driving it.I would guess a front housing is pricey. It still see's steady use feeding a screening plant,stockpiling,loading trucks about eight months of the year.I'm thinking something newer such as a 966F or G -am staying with Cat if we upgrade. thanks, Dominion:canada

Replies3
  1. #1AmerIndependent2010-09-07 17:15

    Hey Dominion, I don't know what you're looking at spending for a trans rebuild but we have one in stock and we ship to Canada on a regular basis. It includes the drop box and torque: http://cgi.ebay.com/8P2015-Caterpil...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4aa47c95c5 If you do decide to part out your machine, I'd be interested in purchasing it or some of the major components.

  2. #2Berryconstruct2010-11-04 10:49

    Have you considered selling the machine overseas? That machine is bringing around 60,000.00 and the exporters dont care how many hours are on them. Thats what i did with mine. And I replaced it with a newer machine with less hours.

  3. #3Diagonal Brace2010-11-04 21:59

    Berryconstuct is spot on. Even here in North America they fetch top dollar. That being said I bought a 950F that the meter had stopped at 28000 hours and used it for three years and then painted it and got more than I paid. Go figure