Our dealership has been growing rapidly over the past 3 years. We went from 1 branch in a small market to 6 (soon to be 7) in 3 states. Problem is, we don't have a dozer line. Need your thoughts on Dressta. They say they're working on Hydrostatic Transmissions, but for now it still torque converters (and direct drive). I'm really not feeling it, but our salespeople are begging for it. Basically, the machines are unchanged from the late 70s/early 80s with the exception of emissions compliant Cummins power. There is a SIGNIFICANT price advantage over the competition, but that's not enough. It has to be a good product. Share your thoughts please.
I honestly cannot tell you about the NEW manchines they produce but in the past 60 years we have own a total of 9 International/Dresser dozers. The newest being the 15C model(if you look in TRBO's gallery of stuff you will see). Both our 15's have well over 20K hours on them and one has about 20k on the engine alone(Cummins 8.3L). We have used this machine for a number of different reasons, size being one as well as cost. But the way the machine works and has treated us(in terms of reliability) has been wonderful. We have done alot of work to them in terms of wear items and misc break downs but every things with ____, tracks or tires is going to cause you troubles sometime. I know you don't see many on the sale's, due to the fact that owners keep them for a long time due to being a great machine. I would rather run my old 15 over our D6H any day of the week. The dealer we deal with has been our dealer for almost since my grandpa started the business. Trbo Any ?'s you have on it give me a PM.
I worked for a contractor who used to be a International Dresser mechanic and then salesman. Needless to say, he was kind of partial to them....go figure. Now, to be honest, they weren't the fanciest machines we had, but they didn't give us half the problems that the other machines did. We had a fair number of them as well, in terms of dozers alone, we had a TD12C, TD15C, TD15E, TD25C, 3 TD25E, and 2 TD25G machines. There were a few things that weren't as nice to work on as some other machines, but they were easy to keep running and very reliable. If I was looking for a dozer and found a Dresser in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate. Now, as for Dressta, the dealer we had also handled Komatsu and they weren't interested in bringing in any Dresstas for us. So I can't say how the new versions are to deal with. Brian
I worked for the dealer when they were Internationals and then another dealer years later when they were Dressers and then Komatsu. They are a well engineered machine that most anyone can work on and keep running. I really liked working on them. The small machines, TD7 & 8, were the class of the industry for years. They suffered a bit when the manufacturing plant was moved to Poland in the late eighties and early nineties. The Komatsu dealer had troubles with roller and idler seals for a long time in the early to mid nineties and I also saw some problems with clutch and brake linings in the steering before I left that dealership. We didn't see many TD15 or TD20 dozers in the nineties and never sold a new one. Cat and Komatsu had taken over that market completely in our area. The 15 was as good as any tractor of that size at that time but was never a big seller. The TD20 was also very good but sold even less. The TD25 had gained a reputation for being a power house but also of being problematic at times. Pulling track frames and final drives on those things is just a bear of a job. The big issue I've always had with the line is support on factory issues such as the undercarriage seals. They claimed we were the only place in the world seeing that issue and there was a bitter fight trying to get them to pay up. Parts supply is another big issue. International was well known for not carrying any spare parts and taking weeks at times to get them. Even the Komatsu dealer had problems at times. I'm sure it's better now but before taking on the line I would recommend some kind of guarantees and penalties for non compliance. The new designs from Cat, Komatsu and Deere are very good in terms of operator comfort and efficient production. The factories spend millions of dollars in marketing and have parts depots well located. The small Dressta machines might sell OK in some markets but I think the bigger machines will be a tough sell. Just my experiences and opinion. Good Luck!
Dressta ? Dresser made in Poland . Dunno about that. But a basic idea is product support , if you don't stock parts , and it takes weeks to get parts , then you are defeating your own self. Just creating a unhappy customer. Just hanging up a sign and placing a demo model does not make a good dealer. And then what about product service, are you ready and committed. Takes $$. Also the Euro is stronger than the US $ right now. That right there wipes out any "Significant " price advantage.
Northart, Dressta Co.'s manin office is in Poland. When we bought our two 15C's in the early 90's everything was made in the USA. Shortly after alot of things were built in Poland. Thus making for parts with both SAE and Metric. Main office is in Poland, with Dressta North America located in Ill. Not sure what is made where or where parts come from etc. Trbo
Factory back-up Hi, JCBgm. I can't see where taking on a product line as a dealer is all that much different from buying a new machine. If you don't get parts and service back-up, you've bought a lemon, no matter how good the actual product is. The best dozer in the world rapidly takes on all the value of its weight in scrap steel if it breaks down and you can't parts and service for it. Ditto with being the dealer for a line of 'good' equipment if you can't any assisstance from the manufacturer. From way back as far as I can remember, the International line of dozers had a pretty good bottom end but the top end of the line was always questionable with weak transmissions and back ends. The TD6 and TD9 were the strength of the old International line. The TD18's and 24's and to a lesser extent the TD14's, all gave drive train problems when used in heavy dozer work. Then IH brought out the TD15's, 20's and 25's and these seemed to be a lot better in the old problems areas of transmissions and final drives. H**l, they even started selling a few. That was quite a breakthrough in those days of Cat market domination. Then they went and introduced the TD30 as a 'Cat D9G killer'. What a joke that was. Most people had a problem just keeping them running long enough to make it on to a float to move. Wel, that may be a SLIGHT exaggeration, but not by much. The TD30 was one of the worst piles of junk that God ever let anybody pump diesel fuel into. I have not run anything IH/Dresser/Dressta since a couple of IH TD25C's and the last of them was in 1985. It handled and worked O.K.. It had more grunt than a D8H but was nowhere near a match for a D9G. However, I think I have probably heard more good reports than bad about these products in recent years. To me, it would still boil down to what sort of parts and service back-up you can get from the manufacturuer or main distributor. Is there a local JD dealer in your area? That may be a another option. Hope this helps.
Hi everybody i'm new to the forum just wanted to say its a great forum.I just wanted to say i own a dresser td8e its been a great machine.I don't know much about the new dressta's but they look like pretty much the same dozers as the e an g series.I've been running equipment for about 15 years i've ran cat,and deere dozers.The dresser dozers are as good or better than any dozer i've been on. I do all my own service on my equipment they are a simple and easy to work on.I get all my parts from a local komatsu dealer and i've never had any problems with getting parts. They always have what i need or they can get them by the next day.
TD8.... Send me an email. I want to further discuss with you. I assume you are getting parts from Brandeis. [email protected]
JCBgm.... I do get most of my parts from brandeis.They have been good about getting parts for me.
How far south in KY you have any Dealerships? Just curious, might drop in and look at some iron.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums td8! :drinkup
Since most all of the parts, with the exception of the consumable items come from Poland, I would be concerned. They do have one parts depot in the US and I don't know what the the inventory levels are, but a backorder from the factory could take weeks. I'd check with them to see what the inventory they do have for each of the models they are supporting.
All the parts that i have bought for my t8e have been komatsu.
If I remember right, Komatsu came out with three dozer models, D32, D38 and D39 when they were in a joint venture with Dresser. These were basically Dresser TD7, TD8 and TD9 with Komatsu decals on them. All were made in Poland. Komatsu still does carry some parts inventory for these older machines and with so many sold in the past years, used parts for them are easy to come by.
Steelman the d32,d38and the d39 are basically a dresser . komatsu and dresser became partners in 88 dresser built those dozers for komatsu.My td8 has the international dt239 engine in it.i rebuilt that engine a couple of years ago and all my part where komatsu.
Dressta We just got the dealership here in central Pa. the couple new one we have in the yard seem like a well built machine we have a TD40 comeing soon with a weight of 140,000lb as we have a customer that would like several of them
Dressta A guy on the Redpower site recently stated that he was a contractor running a new 9H Dressta,& said he was very happy with the machine & back-up. I think he said he was also happy with the track frames/trimming ability of the machine.I haven't heard any bad stories about them so far.It may pay you to look deeper into these machines. Jim
I've run TD25B's & TD25C's and found them to be fairly reliable tractors. Our TD25B's towed Cat 463 scrapers and the TD25C's were used for pushloading & ripping (along with the Terex's, a D8 and a couple of Allis-Chalmers tractors). The TD25B handled a scraper real well and was fast but we did have quite a few problems with the idler seals leaking. Other than that they just kept on going. I've not had the pleasure of operating any of the products from Dressta so I can't comment there other than on appearance - they look firmly rooted in the 1970's ! :my2c
We've got a TD-6-62 track loader that is just plain wonderful. Besides the fact that the left clutch is stuck, and that the over and back clutch handles have been weak, its a great machine that has never let us down. Its far more powerful than it looks, and in fact I think has more shear power and pushing force than our D3 which is a bit bigger I think. Anyway I don't know much about Dressers except that my dad and grandfather would rent TD-8's and 9's when they needed a larger dozer and loved them to death. So I'd certainly suggest Dressta if they still make machines near as good as the old Dressers and Internationals. Also I'd be especially excited now that they have reintroduced the TD-7 which is just the perfect size of dozer for so many jobs.
I have two dresser td15c one with the ih 466 motor and one with the 505 Cummins both are great dozers. also have a dresser 412b scraper and its been a good machine.parts are easy to get from komatsu or used and aftermarket.I would love to see independent dresser\dressta dealers.
Dresser Dozers We have been using International/Dresser dozers for the past 35 years. We've had 175B & 250C track loaders, TD-20C & TD-25C bulldozers in the past. We currently have a Td-20E, which we converted to an L-10 Cummins engine, and 3 TD-20G's bulldozer. We also have a 175C loader and a 412B Scraper. We get our parts through the local Komatsu dealer. We recently rebuilt a transmission on a TD-20G LGP. Most of the parts were Komatsu, but some were Dresser. We ended up having to sent back some of the parts. The Komatsu parts were taken back with a restocking fee. Dresser would not take back their parts. The last Td-20E was built in 1987 in the U.S. The first Td-20G was made in 1987 and all were made in Poland.
In about 2000, I noticed Alabama all the county dept. and the ADOT started using Dressta ' dozers and 515 wheel loaders. Ive run a TD15 Dresta and I really liked it. They say they are one of the simplest ones to work on right now. Very comfortable and dependable to. Tractor and Equipment Company the nearest Alabama Komatsu dealer always has a TD 9 out front. Their website the machines look to carry al lthe looks of the older machines to.
Dressta my father and his father before only bought international machines....td6 skid shovel , td9 skid shovel, 3616 backhoe and 640 hoe. they very reliable as far as i remember. i bought a 1968 international 175b loader in 2001 and the local komatsu dealer had a lot of parts in stock. pretty sure the current 175c loader was made in poland at that point too. they were not high tech but they got the job done....my fathers machines were never worked hard though and only logged about a few hundred hours a year . the komatsu / dressta marriage fell apart a few years ago so im not sure if komatsu still has parts. the dressta line of machines is no longer listed on the komatsu web site.i often wonder what would have happened if cat was the loser in the early 80s recesion and international came out on top. aside from the td30 a lot of the machines were pretty solid from what ive been told.
i worked for a mass grading outfit who's owner HATED cat iron. he gave me my first real seat time on a big dozer. he had 3 td 25's. a c and 2 g's. i started on the g and he eventually let me have the c. it was hotrodded. cut head, big injectors, turned up pump, and bigger turbo. what a monster. in the dark of the early morning that pig would pour out 3" flames from the stack.BIG straight pipe so the neighbors knew you were diggin. that tractor ruined me. it was so comfortable and the 2 speed steering made slope work and big cuts so easy. i would rather run a td25 than a high track 8 and it would be a toss up between a 25 and an 8h.
I just bought a international 175 have not run it yet. Hopefully its a good dozer!
I'm sure alco is familiar with Voice, one of Albertas large older construction companies, they used to have quite abit of International equipment in the day, look under company and history for a short vid......some pretty interesting stories back then. http://www.voiceconst.com/ I'd say you need good product, service and support, you won't stand a chance today without all 3........
Talking about Voice reminded me of a buddy working for them along the Sh Pk freeway for Byers transport in 79, it was about -30C and a cab would have been welcome on the 25.........LOL alco your friend used to work for Vulcan equipment???????
I have run almost all brands of dozers and I have recently run a dressta td 15 for the first time. I was working in a natural gas compressor station running a track hoe digging ditch for a new line. There was another contractor there working beside us they owned the dressta which is the first one that I'v ever seen. I walked over and asked the operator what he thought of it well lets just say he had nothing good to say about it at all he did tell me that it had 1500 hours and the engine and trans were out 3 times!! Well that night we worked late we got our line put in and I went to backfilling our ditch with the dressta I ran it for about 2 hours. I must say that it did have power but it was by far the worst fit and finish of any machine I have ever ran the quality was like it should be sold at harbor freight My guess is that it was cheap thats why they bought it but I would say that its only worth its weight for scrap!!!
Grandpa had been running IH, then Dresser for over 60 years and the reason we went with them was cause they treated us well and were great machines. I'd take my 15C over ANY CAT 6. Of the two I run right now(one we still own, other for the company i work for) one has 22K on it, with 7 on the engine(8.3L Cummins) and the other has 24K on it with 21K on the engine(8.3L Cummins, and yes its due for a rebuild). Those machines have moved a ton of dirt and rocks and timber over the years and we have been very happy with them. My boss told our owner that we are NEVEr getting rid of that 15, just going to do a complete on it and go again someday. Trbo
I ran a TD15M last week for 6 days straight it performed great I built a pond with about 5 thousand yds of dirt to move it performed good, the blade a little on the short side (dirt would roll over the top) but it cut very well and carried dirt good. The only thing I could say bad about it is the fuel, it likes a lot of it. The one I was on had a cab that blocked noise very well and comfortable to operate, I ran it for about 10 to 12 hours a day last week with no aches at all. The salesman said the one I was on was about 165thousand. Just my thoughts
we have a td25h, we call it the exxon valdez! its a nice dozer to operate but a huge money pit. we were putting 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid a day in it, and 8 gallons of trans fluid! it went to the dealership and now it only uses 6 gallons of trans fluid a day. theres more hoses on that thing than a blade has, all big ones with metric ends, buried in the belly of that thing. its a 2004 with 2800 hrs on it.
Stories like these really concern me. We run into people that spew BS stories all the time because they are brainwashed by branding. The issue I have with the story is the issue with the engine. A TD15M runs a Cummins QSC8.3 motors. These motors are widely used throughout the worldwide without issue. Kawasaki even supplies their Cummins powered wheel loaders with 10,000 hour Cummins warranties. We're not a Dressta dealer, but stories like this really toast my behind. We do, however, have experience with Cummins and have seen zero failures.
I will give my .02 cents. The only issue we have had with the Cummins engine, on two or three units Cummins put the wrong rear engine oil seal in. It would transfer trans oil into the engine. I have not heard of a single trans failure.
The pond is filling up as we speak looks good:usa
I've said it in prior post on this but the 8.3L cummins engine is very widely used engine and I myself have had two 15C Dresser dozers with over 22K on one and just shy of 25K(and that one has almost 21K on the engine) As far as the machine goes, awesome well balanced, always started well in the cold weather, have never had transmission issues either. Some of the steering linkage and control levers are a bit over done(too many joints to wear out, but keeping up on them helps control that). Taking care of your machines when you are using them, as well as the hourly maintance. I've watched guys just beat the crap out of a machine day in and day out and then B****H up and down at what a piece of junk it is a year later. Trbo
We own a wheel loader International Dresser 530 AII with an International 467 (at least it is what the stamp plates say) engine, and are about to do some maintenance on the engine, but i can not determine whether this engine is different or same with the engine 466. Can you please tell me what are the differences between engine 467 and 466? Browsing through internet i couldn't find any information or service manual for engine 467 while in the same time the engine 466 is one of the most known. Would spare parts for 466 be the same as for 467? The engine is produced 1984. Below is given the information i could find on the machine stamp-plates and on the engine itself. ----------------------------- engine 467 Dresser Europe S.A. Branch - Heidelberg International - Hough division ----------------------------- Machine model 530 Engine model 467-th2u number. 190126 (this number is also stamped on the engine block) ----------------------------- Vehicle type: Chassis - NR .347 053 9D 000 719 prod year 1984 If anyone has any answer please email me : [email protected]
My dad started with IH 4o years ago, & stayed with them through Dresser, all TD-7-TD-9 models. When I took over, we kept a Td-7G widepad (undercarriage worn out), Td-7G (rebuilt motor & trans, runs great with >7k hrs), & a TD-8H (5k hrs, everything is almost worn out). Picked up a Dressta 04 TD-12C, & not too happy with it. It pushes really well, but something went wrong in the final drive & I don't have enough $ laying around to dig into it. Bought it with only 350 hrs, currently at 750 hrs. Left brake doesn't work at all, & right brake isn't reading the right pressure. Other than that 1 big problem, I've always loved these cats. Ended up buying a Komatsu D-39 earlier this year though, the hydrostatic drive is fantastic.
Does anybody know any specs on an International TD 15? It's an older dozer that I'm thinking of buying. Are they worth having? Alot of propblems?
Maddox, the guys on redpower forum are the experts on inters. TD 15 were good machines, but long in the tooth.. depends what you want to do.
International TD15 Does anybody know how much a 1970 TD15 weighs?
I would say around 30,000 to 32000 lbs with a straight or Semi U dozer and a ROPS canopy. I have a 1978 TD15-C and it's around 32,000. FWD
Td15 Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for a dozer and I have never owned one. I have ran several but not a TD. Are there worth having? Alot of problems?
One of the biggest things with a crawler is undercarriage. It can drain you financially in a hurry. Everybody sees the pads first, that's one of the least concerns. You would need someone with you who is knowledgeable with crawlers. If the Td-15 you are looking at is a 1970, then it would be a TD15-B. I understand they were a pretty good machine. If it runs and steers well and transmission is okay, that's the biggest items along with the undercarriage. I would check the oil in the final drives. You don't want a lot of metal, because that's a sign of bearing or gear problems. That also can cost a lot. Other than that, they are good machines and new, rebuilt and used parts for 15 both B & C series are readily available. FWD
Hello guys, I really hope someone here can help me. We bought a secondhand Dresser TD15C bulldozer. We've been doing some repairs and are now looking for one of the rollers that has been worn out. It is very hard to find Dresser parts here in South Africa. Is there maybe another make that might be compatible with this Dresser TD15C? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
TD15C Rollers - your Berco dealer should be able to assist
Have you tried ITR? The TD-20G can use the Cat D7 track and pads, but not the rollers and sprockets. We just replaced a undercarriage set and used the Dresser aftermarket ITR rollers, Berco Sprockets and Idlers and with the Cat D7 aftermarket pads and chains. If you buy the undercarriage through Dressta or Komastu, you will pay a lot more and end up with about the same product. ITR South Africa http://www.itrafrica.co.za/products_undercarriage.html 23 New Goch Road, Benrose, Johannesburg Postnet Suite 15, Private Bag x1510, Glenvista, 2058 Tel : (+27)(11) 614-0070/2/3/4 • Fax : +(27)(11) 614-0081
Thank you so much guys. It seems like ITR might be able to import the rollers for me, unfortunately they don't have any in stock. I keep getting referred back to Komatsu, but it seems like the TD15C is not compatible with Komatsu. Do any of you know whether that is true or not. I don't have the knowledge, so that would be greatly appreciated. Could you maybe help me with a parts manual, as well? Thank you
Hello members, I work at a company who provide service and maintenance for heavy equipment. Recently we have prospect customer with Dresser TD12C-XP. They need to be serviced. Problem arise when we collecting spare parts supplier in our country (Indonesia). None of them provide for Dresser. I have been looking through internet, I have found one. In matter of saving the cost, I'd like to find another. Kindly someone can give me information. Thanks. Note : Trully, I use google translate to write down above paragraph. If this bother you, than please forgive me.
Try this site www.brtractor.com , they stock quite a few parts for the TD12CXP
JCBGM, We own 12 International/Dresser/Drestta's dozers, two TD15M's @ about 2,500 hrs and a TD25M @ around 800 hrs. Send me a pm or call me at 814-598-0402 and I will be happy to share my thoughts on the Drestta line. Jim Duffy..
@ AXLE BRT, Thankyou for your information.