I have a feeling one of you guys is just going to know this from experience. I am trying to get a driveshaft back in my truck after changing the transmission. I have the one that came out of the truck originally and the one that came with the transmission. U-joints are different. the caps on one measure 1 5/8 and the other 1 7/8 If I was able to change the yoke on one shaft I think I have a combination that would be the right length. The yoke has an 1 3/4" 34 spline shaft. My yoke has the cup that goes around the carrier bearing like this one - Spicer 3-4-12101-1X 1480 Yoke 1.781" X 34 Spline Spicer 3-4-12101-1X 1480 Yoke 1.781"X34Spl
34121011X
PLEASE USE THE DANA ONILNE END YOKE CATALOG TO SELECT YOUR PART NUMBERS
3-4-12101-1X
JOINT SERIES:1480
D... www.drivetrainamerica.com But that references a 1480 series U-joint that looks like it has 1 1/8 caps - I need the 1 5/8 caps to mate the two shafts. There is a shop in town that uses to do driveshaft work. They got bought out by fleet pride years ago. I don't know how much knowledge is left there. Id rather have a plan B if they take the "if you don't have an exact part number we can't help you" approach.
5-4-7171-1 Drive Shaft End Yoke Splined Bore 1610 Series 1.790" x 34 s Fast and free shipping from Florida to USA Contiguous. makodriveshafts.com This one looks tantalizingly possible... Possibly the 1610 series U-joints are the 1 5/8 caps? I need to verify the width between caps is correct. Other option is to buy the butt the slip yoke I need splines onto. The splines are not the same between shafts, sadly. But I would have to weld that on. Has anyone here ever tried that? I am less worried about the welding and more about having no way to balance it after I am done. Though I am not sure it would change the balance a lot.
When I'm dealing with weird mismatched parts , I call Dennys Driveline on the east coast. I'm in the midwest, that's saying something. There's not many knowledgeable guys left. You've got this place and a few scattered precious resources here and there. I think for you, the best option is to swap the trans yoke to match your shafts vs messing with your driveshaft. Good luck.
Thanks for the possible resource! Swapping the trans yoke would allow me to use my original driveshaft but thats going to be too long now with the new trans. Using one section of the original and one section off the parts truck the transmission came out of looks like its going to get me where I need to be on length.
What's on what it is you are trying to accomplish? Am I submissive out where you said you completely changed up the style or size of transmission.
Unless this is something that will never see the road agin find a good drive shaft shop and have it done right. Or like funwithfuel said try to find the trans yoke. Its not a big deal to cut off a driveshaft end and weld on one if you are a very good welder and you get it back in phase . Dont worry about balancing it. I have done hundreds of them but i have passed several test saying i can weld .
Holy crap, I hate talk to text. What I meant was explain what you're trying to accomplish. Lengths, u-joint series, drop and angle. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
I changed the transmission, so the original shaft is too long and the trans yoke is too big. Changing the trans yoke only gets me partway there. Is there a reason having a larger yoke on the trans would matter?