Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

E- brake seems to be seized and only rear axle working . 4×4 switch in cab also seems to be seized ..

Allendale crew ยท 2025-03-07 16:38

We recently bought an old used 1982 I believe 720 A grader to service our camp rd .. It starts and runs great but the brake on the right side seems to be grabbing I was guessing e-brake cable .. was wondering if a person could just disconnect it to move it around freely . And the 2wd to 4wd switch seems to be seized .. Are these things a big job to change . And one more thing is I notice a pine hole in the turbo that was blowing out black smoke when we first started it . Does that turbo need replaced or can I drill n tap that hole and maybe put a screw in it .. Ive run loader and excavators before but rd grader are completely foriegn to me . I would really appreciate any input I could get ..

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-03-08 02:32

    Some pics. would help. I don't know if the e-brake works on the driveshaft or not. Brakes could be binding in the right side chain case. I don't think the hole in the turbo is good. Are you talking about the differential lock/unlock switch? Elvaan Equipment Solutions formerly Jade Equipment specialize in Champion and Volvo graders if you need manuals, parts or repair advice. There are a few on here that have worked on Champion graders as well.

  2. #2Allendale crew2025-03-08 05:34

    I really know next to nothing about these machines . Yeh the diff lock switch . Srry , french guy that delivered t called it the 4x4 cable

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-03-08 15:07

    My 730A is odd as it doesn't have a locking/unlocking differential. It is locked all the time. Unlocking doesn't make it 2 wheel drive per say. It makes it act like a car differential. Locking puts full time drive to both sets of wheels. Steering is hard on sharp turns with it locked.

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-03-08 16:47

    Park brake is on the drive shaft, no park brake in the wheels. If it's just for the camp, and it's not holding too hard, I would live with it, as the rear hub is pressed on. Not sure if there is access to back the brakes off in the wheels or not. Strongco in Moncton is the Volvo/ Champion dealer. Not sure if there is one in Fredericton, depending where you are in NB. If you follow the big gear on the circle, for swinging the blade, there is a smaller gear on either side of the frame. If you look under, there is a single gear between the 2 smaller ones. If nothing else, keep the middle gear greased. If the shaft on top gets worn, it will lose time, and the blade will start to jam when rotating.