Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driving Backhoe on the street in Connecticut…and other states.

joeeye59 ยท 2011-03-18 11:14

Wondering how many Backhoe owners drive on the paved roads where your state don't allow it? Anything you like to share having driven on the roads... had any problems driving on the roads with the law? Such as in Connecticut where I live... I read on a web site that each State have different laws regarding rules on driving a backhoe on the paved roadways... Most States have whats called LSV's law (low speed Vehicle) where you can go only drive on roads with a 25mph speed limit. Sadly CT don't have that or any other law that I know of. I was hoping it might fall under farm equipment where its okay to drive around the neighborhood but don't believe so. I can't get any work near by if I always have to figure in an extra $400 to the price of the job to trailer my backhoe around, especially when its a job that can be done under an hour's time to make a quick $200-$300... so then to add to that $400 more, forget about it.... who's going to pay $700 for an hours worth of work, especially when they can just hire a team of manual shovel men for a day and come out ahead... If I was able to drive there about a half mile away I'd get the job. So with that said I often see many backhoes on the roads here in CT., so I was wondering is there an unwritten rule out there that the police will leave you alone?

Replies11
  1. #1fast_st2011-03-18 11:49

    well, Mass allows it as I've seen backhoes, loaders and even skid steers with regular commercial plates. There used to be a lot of O/R plates but those seem to have been replaced with regular commercial registrations. I head a while back that CT had a special mobile equipment plate, requires the vehicle to be insured etc. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/B-215.pdf http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=802&Q=244554

  2. #2shopteacher 12011-03-18 12:04

    Here in Delaware, we can drive on any road that is not limited access and no one bothers you. Delaware does issue a "CT" (construction transit) tag which you will see on over the road cranes and so forth and I have seen some guy have them on backhoes. However, I have never been bothered on the road with a backhoe or a tractor, and have never heard of anyone being bothered. I would check with your local motor vehicle dept- they will tell you what is legally required. If you have a friend in law enforcement - they will tell you what is acceptable. John

  3. #3RonG2011-03-18 16:50

    I have worked around the Hartford area and we used transport plates on our loaders and backhoes to get from job to job.You could get nailed if you were caught without it. I worked quite a bit up in the northern part of the state and we didn't use any plates at all and it was never an issue.Ron G

  4. #42004F5502011-03-18 18:06

    We use transport plates and haven't had a problem, in snow storms we just go usually

  5. #5dist32011-03-18 18:20

    Connecticut has equipment registration plate for wheeled equipment thru DMV

  6. #6diggerman572011-03-18 21:43

    I work for a company in Rhode Island, and occasionally the company I work for runs backhoes, loaders, and rubber tire excavators in CT over the road. We use RI in transit plates, and all of our equipment has the proper insurance, and I've never had a problem. But, don't take my word as law, just go on your local DMV website or office and find out for sure.

  7. #7lgammon2011-03-19 00:07

    in tennessee we just do most things untill someone tells us otherwise.....but things tend to be a bit more laid back down here....if you do this remember dumb looks and a lot of "oh reallys" go along way.

  8. #8JS580SL2011-03-19 02:23

    Have Mass commercial plates on mine and drive it all over the place. Never had anyone bother me. Have gone down Rt. 2 with blues drivin right by me. Most of the time the cops that pass me know the machine cause we've worked with them.

  9. #9danregan2011-03-19 05:05

    I have regular plates for my 420D backhoe and 3 wheel loaders. In order to get the "contractor" plate. which is sort of like the old "O/R" plate, I would need 10 pieces of "Lifting Equipment", or "equipment in no way designed to carry a load". Sadly, even if I registered my Power roller, Id still be short.

  10. #10pinesd34002011-03-19 06:32

    Interesting, for the life of me I just dont know why all these states dont work for the same company. So I shall continue moving around with nothing on it. This idiot just about doubled registration fees, so they are parked until a miricle comes.

  11. #11mitch5042011-03-19 15:39

    Gee, you fellas make me love my state. In SC all that is required is an SMV emblem, and they don't enforce that. You don't need insurance or even a drivers liscense. I can move ag, logging or construction equip. up to 12' wide on a trailer w/o a permit and if I do need an oversize or overweight permit, it is $15/ trip or $100 annually. .