Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drott 40BLCW Case 1280 and Case 1187 drive sprocket repair

RonO ยท 2022-04-29 10:11

Hi, My Drott 40BLCW stripped the final drive output shaft/drive sprocket. Anyone have a new or used(nearly any condition) sprocket? I'm not finding one. The 1280 and 1187 apparently use the same sprocket and shaft. Shaft P/N S605277 or S616807 Sprocket P/N S953545 Or Options on repairing this? I've had a number of suggestions and am looking for opinions. A friend wants me to remove a grouser or two and drill 2 5/8" holes through both sides of the sprocket hub into the shaft. Place pins into the holes. Then place heavy duty extra length 3/4" nuts over the pins and weld to the sprocket. Put set screws into the nuts to hold the pins in place. He is pressing for this as it is the fastest and easiest repair. or Split the track. Move the drive out far enough so that the outer pillow block bearing and bushing can be removed. Then use a long drill to drill holes between the shaft and sprocket to insert dowel or roll pins - as many as practical. Then reassemble. or A gent on Yesterday's tractor said they had a machine shop do that with (2) about 3/8" spring or dowel pins and it lasted for years. Another stated they had a shop fit (3) 1/2" keys into the shaft and sprocket. No small feat to locate 3 equidistant key ways in a hub. I know how to do it but time consuming. I presume that the sprocket would have had it's bore machined smooth and the shaft welded to match the sprocket then the key ways machined into both. Or A gent from a crawler supply said I can probably just change the sprocket and get a second life out if it for a while -IF- I can find a sprocket. He is supposed to be searching for one. He stated something that I'm not understanding how it works. He claims that the output shaft can be removed without disassembling the final drive. He stated that the inner bearing cap can be removed and this allows the shaft to come out the other side. I'm looking at the manual and the inner bearing cap holds the shaft end bearing in the main housing. I don't know how the bearing would be removed to access the snap ring that holds the final drive gear in place on the shaft. The snap ring would need to be removed to enable the shaft to be removed out the opposite side of the drive. Or Another option stated by him and another crawler service center - Weld the sprocket to the shaft. If this is done - How? Are holes drilled through the sprocket to weld to the shaft where the splines are located? Or is the bushing between the outside pillow block and the sprocket eliminated so that a weld can be placed where it is located? The sprocket shoulders on the inside pillow block bearing so there can't be a weld bead there. Is there sufficient clearance between the sprocket and shaft at the inside pillow block bearing that a weld on the opposite side would break from the bending load that would result from just welding where the outside spacer bushing would have been? I'm including a photo from the manual for reference.

Replies0

No replies yet.