I saw an old drott 50 for sale and it has a tilt on it to level the machine I believe when the machine is digging perpendicular to the tracks (over the side). Do any excavators today offer this feature or is it not really useful?
Yes, Wacker Neuson has what they call VDS (Vertical Digging System). I saw one in action at a machinery show recently - pretty cool. Their site is www.wackerneuson.com Here's a YouTube video of it in action... YouTube - Vertical Digging System VDS, english Chris Lyon Brisbane Australia.
Not that I have seen. Most operators put somthing level under machine from what I have seen. muzy
I ran one of those for yrs. It was a pretty handy feature, although fairly high maintenence as the little tilt rams are open on the bottem and would always have somthing find its way in and cause the seals to leak. The most usefull I found it was when running a hammer and breaking rock in ditch. Many fof the early case`s like the 1280 we had also had that feature, but like anything once you dont have it, in no time at all you dont miss it, or learn how to get by without it. With the exception of course being. AIR CONDITIONING!
These level themselves up http://www.allterrainexc.com/ Spider excavator YouTube - excavator http://www.can-sa.com/protection_against_rockfalls/landslide_protection/spider_excavator_earthworks_drilling