Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

welded steel pipe

reddot556 ยท 2010-08-23 21:12

digging a whole bunch of this in stockton...john derre 750 to dig and lay with..many,many bell holes to dig

Replies20
  1. #1ddigger2010-08-23 21:26

    Very nice, is Doug Kyles welding on that job? Do you know him? Hey can you believe it I started clearing for a new subdivision for the green trucks today in Roseville.

  2. #2Acivil2010-08-23 21:50

    Man... That is some good looking work... You keep it neat! I guess class A material?

  3. #3reddot5562010-08-24 19:42

    nah...its a "b" soil but very firm...no kidding, a subdivision huh?..haven't seen one in awhile

  4. #4dayexco2010-08-24 21:41

    reddot, you're an artist at what you do, i'd hire you in a heartbeat.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2010-08-25 00:03

    A real, live subdivision?? With houses and everything?? I don't know if I remember what one looks like it's been so long now. Congratulations on the work.

  6. #6LT-x72010-08-25 13:41

    I agree! Amazing work! I always look at your pictures and think how does he make it look that nice.

  7. #7tonka2010-08-25 16:58

    Whats the size of the pipe Reddot? How many inches are the welders getting a day?

  8. #8JimBruce422010-08-25 20:11

    very impressive as always. When it comes to tunneling under existing pipe like that, what is your prefered way? I've seen it done a few different ways, I am just interested in way you do it.

  9. #9dayexco2010-08-25 20:23

    "only" way to do it, is keep gnawing away at it, time consuming, but if you have a pair, very doable. i gotta buy me one of them buckets.

  10. #10JimBruce422010-08-25 21:19

    I think maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I know that some guys will just keep diggin under it from one way till they got under and past the existing utility while other's will attack it from both sides and if one has a pin grabbing coupler, flip the bucket around and dig front shovel style as well. I am not experienced with the v-shaped buckets, but I assume you can do the same with them, but I could be wrong:beatsme Course there is always the lazy way, where ya just dig right through it, haha:cool2

  11. #11EGS2010-08-25 22:03

    Jim I usually dig up to the utility, then up and over it and then down the other side. Then you can have the labors locate it easier, then you can dig the rest away easier. Kind of hard to explain.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2010-08-25 22:25

    Yair...Speaking of how to do things with a hoe...is there a set procedure taught in "excavator school" as to how to deal with how to expose a pipe for repair after having accidently cut through it at (say) ninety degrees? I'm talking small stuff, four to six inch or so. The reason I ask is that about fifty years ago when I was on a Bucyrus back acter (a sort of little cable operated track hoe) there was a detailed explanation as to how to go about it in the machines instruction book. The technique seems to have been lost over here in Australia. The excavator operators I have to deal with do more damage digging the freaking pipe out than they did when they first broke it...and most of them are smart asses and dont like to be told.

  13. #13cat 3852010-08-26 18:36

    yep this is how i do it let the boys shovle the last few inches of dirt off it so i can see it from the cab then start digging under it to get it exsposed, somtimes if you are in a deeper dig you can start digging underneith like you said jim,kind of risky there are always unown suprises under ground as we all know.this is my way, but situations are always different,just have to be relaxed and not in a hurry it always takes longer to fix than not to hit it,standing by to hear how redot does it.:drinkup

  14. #14reddot5562010-08-27 18:34

    the pipe in that pic is 42"..we are also digging 54" and 48". the welder is averaging 7 joints a day

  15. #15reddot5562010-08-27 18:37

    lol..thank you for the kind words...i tell my foremen all excavator operators are artists, thats why we are temperamental

  16. #16reddot5562010-08-27 18:42

    thank you

  17. #17reddot5562010-08-27 18:54

    my preferred way is to roughly locate where the utility is then starting from the top start digging down carefully a little at a time..have your laborer/gradechecker use his probe.once he feels it with his probe and tells you how deep it is i usually take the top off to within a few inches and let him find it with his shovel..once located i like to get as close as possible on my side of the utility and go straight down, getting to a grade 3 or 4' below the utility.. then i walk my machine forward and reach over the utility and proceed to dig the surrounding dirt out to grade.then i put my bucket a foot or so under the pipe and "punch through"..than its just a matter of digging the rest out in a safe manner...using the "V" bucket to tunnel is a pain in the ass..sometimes like in this pic i use 2 buckets to dig the ditch with anyway so i use the traditional bucket for my tunneling and the "V" bucket to trim up with

  18. #18cat 3852010-08-29 11:47

    that's funny **** right there!!

  19. #19tonka2010-08-29 20:20

    ah a one pass wonder...

  20. #20powerjoke2010-09-08 22:11

    haha, sounds about like every welder and painter I know jk Pj