Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dual Engines, One Throttle

ThatGuysFarm ยท 2024-09-18 15:17

Does anyone have experience with any dual engine setups that run the throttles electrically on old diesel without ecm's? I was talking to a guy that use to have two 500 case tractors that someone mated together to make one bigger tractor. He said both the engines had an electric actuator on the throttle levers on the pumps and one throttle lever in the cab ran both engine simultaneously. He couldn't remember the brand of the actuators but thought they were pre 1960's built. He has scrapped the tractor but said he still has the actuator setup in a building somewhere that he will try to find and show me. I'm just wondering if anyone here has been around a system like that? I'm looking for alternatives to using an Air Throttle for an upcoming project. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1crane operator2024-09-18 17:39

    You should be able to run a 12v linear or similar actuator. /going to have to find one fast enough. Some of the cranes used one to run a single engine from two stations. They were bosch if I remember right. They looked something like this: These guys show some similar set ups, but they are probably controlling gensets, so they are just throttle on and throttle off, not much feathering. ACD110 12 Volts | Engine Mounted Integral Actuator Engine Fuel Control Positioning Device Designed to Control Engine Speed | Reliable and Easy to Operate |100% GAC Original thunderpart.com

  2. #2crane operator2024-09-18 17:40

    I've used a lot of air throttle set ups, but I'm afraid if the resistance on the injection pumps was very different, you would have a problem with one air cylinder getting all the movement.

  3. #3ThatGuysFarm2024-09-19 07:15

    This is what I was thinking. But finding an actuator and throttle control combination that does not use a computer or go through the ECM is proving difficult. I'm sure they are out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them. This guy said the units on his old custom built tractor were 1960ish era (not sure how right he is about that). He said there was no computer, just an actuator and lever.

  4. #4ThatGuysFarm2024-09-19 07:17

    That makes sense, I've been around Air Throttles on single engine tractors. They work ok when new but after 1000s of hours if you need to dial in RPM by 100rpm to run a hydraulic motor or adjust ground speed slightly they are iffy. Work fine for in the throttle/out of the throttle work.