Just asking cause never had a hydraulic pin grabber before. Our new Doosan 140 will certainly put the bucket into the front of the cab if you are not paying close attention. I am not a new operator by the way. I am an old one. Like really old.
For the most part, yes. To maintain the breakout force and keep things stable,the sacrifice is crowding. Nearly all aftermarket coupler kits will come with a sticker advising to be aware of proximity. Hendrix, Geith and JRB/Paladin all advise to check fit and be aware.
Yeah. Old operator here. Tucci had a 235 that would attack the cab with the tiger teeth 4' bucket.
Our 160 Volvo has pin graber and it can not hit the cab with 36" bucket, witch is nice cause I probably would have by now.lol
Case 210 and Komatsu 290, one with JRB and the other with a Geith. Buckets don't even get close. My question is this: I can't think of any operation whereby I'm doing something besides checking to see if it hits that I'd ever have the bucket that close to the cab. I NEVER track with the bucket curled tight, and the stick pulled up unless I'm going under a powerline or tree, and then the bucket gets curled in well before the stick gets pulled in.
Bucket full of dirt in tight quarters. Turning around to then reach out. I've done a bunch of digging between columns, for example. It's just part of the territory inside commercial building footprints. The first day I went to work for this outfit in 2003, I was going through a parking garage with storm and sanitary, using the 120. It seems like there was a concrete guy on a ladder on every column around me lol. I spent a lot of time with the bucket right up in my face. These guys were all Mexicans and I speak Spanish. When the home food day came along they invited me to join them. Maybe they were happy I didn't knock them off the ladders? The 2 ft digging bucket on the 120 gets pretty close with tiger teeth on but does not touch. The three-footer will, but I have some worn off nubs on there and don't have to worry about it.
Some do. Some don't. 328DLCR bucket to cab interference problems Falling under the assumption that Caterpillar Machine division and Caterpillar Work Tool division actually coordinate their products to work seamlessly together, we have purchased a Caterpillar 328DLCR with a Caterpillar Center-Lock Pin Grabber bucket coupler and a Caterpillar Heavy Duty 42"... HeavyEquipmentForums
Seen lots of damaged cabs on Hitahci/Deere's and Cat excavators from quick couplers and operators in a hurry.
when I got back to work after being away 7 years, the wiper was done in by the 3' bucket when I got there and I had to replace an expensive wiper motor. I found the blade and arm behind the seat I got it all working again though.
It is like Skyking said: close quarters force the bucket close. I am digging out an old pond and putting spoils up on and over a dam. This video has an intro...you can skip to the 2:00-minute mark to see the bucket close to the cab. It gets worse when moving mud mats on the dam side.