Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump truck floor

cheddarbob56 ยท 2015-04-12 19:46

Hey guys - need some advice on repairing the floor in our dump truck. It had been getting pretty bad shape but after last weekends rock hauling/moving its really beat up bad now. Some splits in it along the square tube crossmembers. What's the cheapest/easiest/best way to fix it? I know probably the best way is to cut all the old out and replace with a new floor but that isn't in the cards right now time wise. Can I have some plates cut at the local fabricator and go in and weld on top the old ones? I know this will add some weight to my tare but not that concerned about it for what I use it for. Was thinking if I had strips cut to lay centered on the crossmember tubes that would be the best replacement and weld them where the tubes are maybe? Or should I run full length pieces the long way and have slots/notches cut out of them where the cross tubes are and weld the slot filled? Any tips or ideas would be great. It's about a 14' box if that matters. Thanks Chris

Replies3
  1. #1repowerguy2015-04-12 20:17

    It is very unorthodox, but I have personally seen good dump floors made with 3/4 cdx plywood over a beat steel floor. The asphalt paving gypsys use plywood floors over styrofoam carrying hot asphalt so it works better than most people realise.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2015-04-12 20:53

    The rock truck at the company I worked for had oak planks bolted to the steel floor. They will have to be replaced as they wear out but the steel won't get any worse.

  3. #3nowing752015-04-14 21:27

    We just did out 14' Tri axel and we just put right on top of the old floor