Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dump truck [no factory] air supply question

New2Equipment1980 ยท 2017-11-20 13:24

found a 42,000 single axle dump truck with a pintle hitch. no trailer air supply though. looking to the future, i'd eventually need to tow a 20 ton trailer with air brakes. truck i found is a 2008 sterling 42,000 gvw. can i add a air supply for trailer? where would i have this done? sterling has went out of buisness

Replies7
  1. #1Tags2017-11-20 18:51

    Any competent heavy truck repair shop should be able to do it without much trouble I would think. It should be readily available components.

  2. #2DMiller2017-11-21 06:39

    Is pretty straight forward on newer machines as the connection ports should already be there and will just be addition of the trailer controls. The shop will need the schematics for your series truck for positive ID.

  3. #3Kevin McCarty2017-11-21 13:21

    It is easy, as DMiller said, ports are there from air compressor. Probably cost about 500 for a shop to do the lines and glad hands. But I would be careful about hauling that much on a single axle tractor. The law will be 12,500 - 20K for front axle depending on axle rating and tires you have on but you still are limited by law on front, and 20K for single rear, then you get 34K for tandem trailer. DoT will read the cab card and spec's. With the tare weight of the truck you can see what you can haul. Go by the rating that's keeps you out of fines.

  4. #4New2Equipment19802017-11-21 16:59

    Good to know. So here is my situation. I build inground swimming pools. My equipment excavator is retiring soon. He has L9000 dump truck, single axle, 280hp. 35,000 gvw. His excavator is a 1996, cat 312bl. It weighs about 30,000 lbs i think. He tows it with a 20ton eager beaver. I dont know how much the trailer weighs but i would guess around 9 or 10k lbs. 30,000lb machine + trailer 10,000 lbs = 40,000. If i figure 15% tongue weight of the trailer.... about 6000lbs loaded onto the rear axle of the truck i might buy .... i was figuring i would be well within the road limits. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd rather do things right the first time, avoid fines, and also be safe for my fellow drivers regarding being able to stop properly. I'm currently going through the class A process

  5. #592U 34062017-11-21 17:36

    Sterling was owned by Daimler. A fleet I used to work for had a couple and even after the Sterling line was dropped we were still able to get parts and some technical info through the Western Star/Freightliner dealer. This was back in 2010 though so it might be a bit harder nowadays.

  6. #6Kevin McCarty2017-11-21 17:55

    My opinion on the truck is it's road hard, put down wet. Personally I wouldn't go with a single axle or buy anything from a friend, if I wanted to remain friends. DoT guys are like wild dogs, they look for the weak. That one you're looking at is bait. The previous administration determined that transportation had a lot of add on revenue generators. Chicken houses (scales) are the main money makers.... and brother the fines will make your blood curdle. Go to the auctions, see what's sold, do a baseline average. A good mechanic who has his own work truck will do 75-100 / hr depending on if you want a receipt. I don't have any issue with your trailer, all easy to fix.

  7. #7DMiller2017-11-22 16:19

    I agree, you are wanting to do too much with too little. A Tandem at minimum with a six bolt air assist pintle, the twenty ton trailer and no more than 10 years old on the truck as well having a mechanic go over both at the start to make certain they are not DOT bait. Expense up front beats the fines and expenses after as they once into a blood spot will not stop until the beast is gutted.