Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Municipal Competition?

jaclo ยท 2017-11-27 23:14

Hey guys I'm looking for some feedback on something that's been getting on my nerves lately. I'm a dirt contractor is a relatively remote small town America location. I got a call from a prospective client a few days ago to give an estimate on some general site prep for a house - tree and building removal. Nothing crazy, nice little $10k or so job. Today we go by the site because we are working a couple blocks away, and we see the local municipality is in their with their skid loader doing the tree removal. Maybe the trees are in the city ROW or something and they're doing some basic clearing that is overdue, but my gut says the city is stepping on my toes. This isn't the first time I've noticed this type of **** going on. Do contractors have any protection from having to compete with their own damn municipalities? I mean I know the answer has to be yes - but can someone provide me with a resource?

Replies14
  1. #1hosspuller2017-11-28 00:44

    I encourage you to check the job. It may be the city responsibility to remove the tree... BUT if it's a case of corruption, Bring on the Sunshine. It's the only cure for gov't corruption since gov't lawyers are paid by the public.

  2. #2Junkyard2017-11-28 07:41

    It's always been my understanding that municipalities cannot compete with for hire companies. If they are doing the job I'd sure raise some hell over it assuming it's more than just clearing their ROW. When my brother ran his dumptruck we'd be in line at the asphalt plant and often times the plant operator would make the city/county/state trucks move or wait on the for hire trucks. You might do a little research and see what your state/county or city has to say about it from a legal standpoint. I've got a friends here that do work a municipality could do, I'll ask them if they've ever run into that issue.

  3. #3hosspuller2017-11-28 11:28

    Thinking about this some more ... Someone using city equipment on the side? City clearing a public health hazard ? City owned property or right of way ? Jaclo ... pls keep us informed.

  4. #4PJ The Kid2017-11-28 16:23

    As a city employee, the only way they can touch that tree is if it is a city right of way or on city property. (At least that's how my city works.) We were clearing storm debris earlier this year and made people mad because we could only get a certain distance from the road. That would be like me working on "insert company name"'s equipment out of my city shop.

  5. #5jaclo2017-11-28 16:55

    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't able to check out what happened up there today as I had some other stuff come up out of town. I spent last night looking for an actual on the books law to cite but I couldnt find anything. Anyhow, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

  6. #6crane operator2017-11-28 17:03

    I had a call a while back from a local shopping mall. Their big flag on the flagpole was all tangled up, wanted to see about us bringing a crane down with a manbasket. I had other stuff going, and couldn't get down there right away, and they got ahold of someone on the local fire dept, and had them bring down their big ladder truck. I know a guy who gets his light pole lights changed by the county rural fire dept, and he's only a couple blocks from the local rental house for manlifts. Can't compete with free, but there's really no way to stop it. If you raise a big stink about it, it won't get you any more work, and its bound to make you some enemies.

  7. #7Raildudes dad2017-11-28 20:54

    I work for our local county highway department. We absolutely do not work for private individuals or companies cor on private property. We will do work for our townships but we don't solicit their work nor do we let them bid shop. If they want to get competitive bids that's ok but then don't ask us for a price. We encourage them to use private contractors. It's just better for all involved.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2017-11-29 00:01

    I work for a municipality as well. Here is is prohibited by law for us to do for profit work or work on private property. I'm thinking someone's ass could be in a bind....

  9. #9PJ The Kid2017-11-29 08:53

    Only other thing I can think of, depending on the size of the town, was he had a buddy that worked for the city and did him a favor.

  10. #10Trashman2017-11-29 09:09

    I currently work for a city in Texas. We do not go on to private property to do anything. Unless there is a warrant involved.

  11. #11The Peej2017-11-29 12:55

    One thing I have found in my town is sometimes the department public works will do jobs in-house and sometimes they will sub it out. Is it possible they used your quote to determine if it was cost-effective to do in-house

  12. #12jaclo2017-11-30 22:03

    False alarm boys the city was just hauling out a few branches as a favor, got the job today.

  13. #13thepumpguysc2017-12-01 05:30

    That's good news..

  14. #14DMiller2017-12-01 07:28

    I was thinking on this yesterday but just saw the answer. In our little slice of heaven if I want to do any dirt work(farm) within ten feet of the highway road frontage have to contact the MODOT. Is not that they will do the work but will accept and allow or decline the work and issue or decline a written permit for me to do it. Was expecting to see it was the city ROW and was their work.