Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dynahoe 1900

Blueboy ยท 2015-03-14 21:56

Hello everyone. I am a new proud owner of a Dynahoe 1900. Seems to run good but driving it up the road is very slow. Going down hill I can shift to 3rd gear and move at a good speed but soon as it starts up hill it looses speed big time and I have to drop to 1st. When I say slow, I mean I can walk faster! Engine is at full RPM. The torque converter is full and fluid looks clean but the previous owner said they had to dump in a whole bucket of ATF. Apparently there is a leak... Any ideas? Blue

Replies7
  1. #1Blueboy2015-03-14 22:04

    P.S. I joined the Dynahoe club on Yahoo but deleted my account. Way to much BS and smut on that thing!

  2. #2Ronsii2015-03-15 00:25

    Welcome to the forum Blue My experience has been dynahoes are slowwww... but sounds like your TC may be a bit worn also Interesting bucket on the front..

  3. #3Blueboy2015-03-15 14:28

    Thanks for the invite! I was leaning towards the TC as well. I have not tried reverse speeds but I suspect it would be the same, I didn't want to screw around on the street. There is very little torque in 1st, 2nd is worse and 3rd forget about it! I suppose my question now is where is a good place to get parts? They are going to like me I have lots to buy: filters, hoses, tires, cylinder seals and of corse a torque converter rebuild kit. The front bucket is called a "Side dump loader bucket". An option that cost $20,000 back in the 80s.

  4. #4Ronsii2015-03-15 20:45

    I have a 160 dynahoe that someone lengthened the dipstick for the TC and when filled to correct level according to the dipstick it has very little torque... but when I add a few extra quarts it has plenty of torque in 1,2nd... have broke the u-joints a couple times Parts...... well since most of what dynahoe used was from heavy trucks and whatnot on the drivetrain you can still find parts for that kind of stuff other then that the generic stuff like hoses and fittings are pretty standard... one thing I haven't been able to find is the locks for the stabilizers... don't know if your model has them or not but when they go bad they are a PITA.

  5. #5Blueboy2015-03-17 10:05

    If I came up with a way to measure the pressure of the TC before and after the filter, what PSI should I expect to see?

  6. #6Blueboy2015-03-21 21:06

    Well, some not so good news. Main line pressure should be 180-220 PSI. And I have 200 Was hoping the filter was clogged. I put a new filter on and oil from tractor supply (still 200). It is the Traveller Premium Universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluid. It seems thicker than the Dexron ATF. Don't know if it will help being thicker but at this point can it hurt? Adding a couple extra quarts to see if it will make a difference per Ronsii suggestion. Ill take it for a drive tomorrow after church.

  7. #7Blueboy2015-03-22 16:13

    The ground is still to wet to do anything but what little I did move around it is not looking good.