I posted in this forum because it's for a backhoe. A friend has a Cat 931C track loader with a backhoe attachment. I think it's a 5G2150 backhoe the same as mine. Anyway his boom cylinder is leaking pretty bad. The backhoe is very similar to JD backhoes. I'm wondering if there's enough room to pull just the rod out if the boom is swung to the side and the hose tower and hoses were removed? Is it best to dig a hole to get the boom down as far as possible? If there's not enough room the whole cylinder needs to come out. Is it pretty much the same except after lowering the boom you take out the pin for the rod on the swing tower and retract the cylinder then pull the cylinder out after disconnecting the hoses?
No experience with this but if you can get it down horizontal with the ground and leave the cylinder on the machine that would be the path I would take. That is how I did my crowd. I dug the hole ad narrow as possible and put a piece of plywood under the boom. You don't want to drop anything in the hole.
That's what I told him. I'll have to look at mine because I don't know if there's enough room to pull just the rod. The stick cylinder on top is a piece of cake. I had to take mine off because the piston bolt broke. It was quite a few years ago and I was able to pick the cylinder up enough to put it in my truck. I wouldn't even try lifting it now.
My backhoe is a case, but I have rebuilt ALL the cylinders on the rear hoe, and I never pulled any of the cylinders. I just finished the last one last weekend, a swing cylinder. I remember doing my boom cylinder, I stretched the boom out as flat as it would go and made sure it was resting on the ground. I then supported it where I thought it might move when I pulled the pin out of the boom cylinder. I let it fall to some blocks of wood and then pull the guts out of the cylinder while leaving it in place. Of course I have a different tractor with different access than you more than likely.
I don't think Case has the boom cylinder completely closed in inside the boom. That's why it's not so straight forward.