Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EC Volvo 160 just won’t Start

glennbing · 2012-02-05 11:49

I bought a 2008 track hoe in October knowing it had a few problems. It had blow-by so we fix it by putting in a overhaul kit. It had problems with not tracking to the left so I had a new ECU($$) put in that fix that. It always had trouble starting but it would start. About a month ago the computer told me to shut down and it wouldn't start back. The Volvo mechanic($$) said it wasn't getting fuel to the high pressure injector pump($$) so I replaced them, that didn't work, so i replaced the fuel pump that feeds the high pressure injector pumps, that didn't work. Then the Volvo mechanic said it's not getting fire to the injectors. The mechanic replaced the ECM computer that didn't work. Then the mechanic found a cam senor ohm low so I replaced that. Still not firing to the injector.The computer is not giving any codes.The Volvo mechanic is out of ideas and I'm Out of Money. Please any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies21
  1. #1cjplanthire2012-02-05 14:34

    auction and buy a hitachi

  2. #2yotanut2012-02-07 16:56

    There is a relay panel above the battery box. Remove the cover and the cover over the relay panel. Alot of times the relay will loosen or go bad. Try swapping relays from the wipers or lights to the ecu relays. Try it, I have seen this alot.

  3. #3wildhorse trnr2012-02-07 19:42

    Yotanut has it. I have found that on several older units. Drove me nuts the first time I ran across it.

  4. #42stickbill2012-02-07 21:38

    No fire to the injectors? Might be a bad coil.

  5. #5linc_man2012-02-10 19:44

    ours did that but it was just the fuel filters, but i dont think that is your trouble !!

  6. #6nixs2012-02-16 13:06

    The relays is just on older units, do you get feeder pressure and rail pressure readings in the service display? What happens if you put it in manual mode?

  7. #7uffex2012-02-17 06:50

    Hi you need to say which EC160 it is that you have is it a "A" - "B" - or "C" then we will try to help

  8. #8nixs2012-02-17 15:39

    The manufacturing year and the described symptoms tells you it´s a C-model.

  9. #9uffex2012-02-18 02:25

    Ok we will try to help First please try switching the machine to manual mode see if it starts, the switch is beneath a cover on the left side arm pod. Fuel feed pressure measured at the filter head should be between 4.5 & 5 bars (65 -70 psi) if not the relief valve may be faulty. You mentioned you had a message to shut down can you explain what this was. Press the munue key select service and hold down the select key until the wrench appears - then go to messages and see what this tells us. You can send me an email on [email protected] if you need some illustrations. I hope this will help find the solution

  10. #10nixs2012-02-18 07:17

    Have you checked the FCU?

  11. #11TCS2012-02-18 07:47

    I would suspect that if the ECU sent an OBD shutdown message then there must be a fault code and it can be pulled to find the problem.

  12. #12hitachi daft2012-02-18 10:20

    sorry to butt in i ve a volvo 140b 2008 the hour clock has been changed and says 11hrs can the hours be brought up on the dash vovlo told me it couldened be done but sometimes they dont tell everything

  13. #13DirectTech2012-02-18 10:51

    We have seen on the wheel loaders that the safety valve in the fuel rail will were to the point where it will let the pressure bypass the valve and go directly back to tank causing all kinds of weird problems, we have never seen one not start but you never know. One way to test this is to take out the safety valve and put in a copper washer the same size and reinstall the safety valve creating a better seal. The only way to get a true hour reading on a B series is to use a laptop and check the ECUs, you cannot do it from the display.

  14. #14MAVRICK2012-03-18 09:52

    i have a volvo grader which is creating pressure in the tank and it blow the new injectors that were put in, oh and the it turns the fuel black. any idea whats wrong?

  15. #15uffex2012-03-18 10:47

    It sounds if you are getting lubrication oil fed into the fuel gallery, gasket or something similar

  16. #16DirectTech2012-03-18 11:52

    The injectors were not seated right, I have seen this personally, you have to take a small hammer and punch and hit the injector hold down a few times and then re-tighten the hold down bolt this should fix your problem.

  17. #17MAVRICK2012-03-18 12:54

    thanks guys what i forget to mention is that it also creates alot of pressure in the tank. the model of the grader is G940 and 2008 year model.

  18. #18darksoulze2012-10-18 08:10

    Hi mate . Being a Volvo technician for many years . This problem sound more like the con rods in the injectors it self have snapped . I had this same problem before.. Easy way to check for messages and error code is to go to service on the computer but not enter it . Hold down select for 5 seconds this will take you to service mode then go to messages and give me the hidden code witch I will look up for you .... Any more problems feel free to email [email protected] .

  19. #19darksoulze2012-10-18 08:12

    Sorry also in service mode try to start. Whils under engine mode this will give you fuel presure reading then you have a near as dam it defiant answer let me know the pressures

  20. #20MitchSA2012-10-18 20:14

    I had this happen on a EC290B, as above it was a injector sealing problem. Compression was escaping into the return line. New seal and tap the hold down clamp, this sorted it out. Whereabout in SA are you? I'm originally from East London.

  21. #21uffex2012-12-18 12:31

    Good day gleaning I have some information which may be of help, it is in PDF format if you would like this please drop me a mail at [email protected] regards uffex