Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EC160D display screen freezing up

jca57jd · 2019-06-18 12:23

Hey Guys. My Volvo ec160d display screen has froze up and I’ve lost ac 3 times now. If I flip the battery disconnect switch and let it sit for 5 minutes it goes back to functioning just like it should. It’s started to do it every 4-5 hours. Any advice on where I should start looking to fix this problem? Many thanks for any help!!

Replies4
  1. #1uffex2019-06-19 15:27

    Good day I suggest you check history to begin - welding - jump starting - any other electrical influence example a coil for a solenoid valve with a failed quench diode can replicate such a fault. If this leads to a dead end come back and I will try to help some more. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2jca57jd2019-06-19 19:42

    Thanks uffex! Where would I go to start checking for these things? Sorry I’m new to the big excavator world of owning and maintaining one but I am mechanically inclined with good direction. I will say that my hydraulic thumb acts sporadic sometimes (slow reaction speed and then I let off the thumb switch and reengage it and it goes back to normal speed) witch seems to act like a spool possible hanging up. Now that I think about it good; I did reverse the wires that control the valves that operate the thumb so I could get the switch going in the same direction as all my other mini hoes and it didn’t give me this problem until I did that hmm?

  3. #3uffex2019-06-20 05:03

    Good day JC You may well be on the right track if the thumb control has been installed by a third party it may well be devoid of quench diode or resistors to absorb coil kick back. Take a photo of the thumb control and PM it to me we can try to establish the ins and outs. Am I correct to believe the I-ECU (Display) is affected by thumb operation ? also is it only the display that is effected or are there other issues that show up? Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2019-06-20 05:06

    Please try running the machine without using the thumb sorry for the omission.